Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE11 and Firefox Not Working Properly Tried Everything ;)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 santegelo

santegelo

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

Since December my IE has not been operating properly.  I would often get a message to upgrade my browser to higher than ie 5.5 (I was running ie11) or that my browser was out of date.  I have since run Ad-Aware and removed some malware and am using compatibility mode so this issue seems to have resolved.  I am still having issues accessing websites.  They freeze up, close down, some websites lose their formatting and come up as just text.  When I click the browser back button it will not take me back, it will only refresh the current page I am on.  If I click it twice quickly I am sometimes able to go back to google search.  Programs that require Flash or Java are asking me to update it but when I check, I have the latest version.  When I open a new tab in IE, I click the home button and it take my previous tab to google rather than the new tab I am on. 

I have a WD hard drive that I access via cloud, but when I try and access, it takes me to the Oracle website after I log in, rather than my hard drive.  So I am unable to access from this computer. 

I am not super tech savvy, so please bare with me :)

I am running Avast anti-virus and also have Ad-Aware downloaded.  I ran MalwareBytes and came up empty (it has since been removed).  I've had some help here and there, but so far the issues remain and it's driving me crazy!   

Thank you for any help you can provide!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:55 PM

Have you tried rebooting your modem & router? This is done by unplugging the power cord to each (one at a time) & after a minute, re-powering them. This is similar to what your ISP does when they ping or "flush" the lines.

I do this monthly & can tell when it needs doing, as on downloads, when all is well, I'm hitting 1.7MB/sec. When it's crappy, it drops to 400KB/sec or lower.

Personally, I feel that Avast is superior to Ad-Aware & keeping MBAM is fine, as I have MBAM Pro on most of my Windows OS's, but will leave any malware analysis/solutions up to the experts here. I'm focusing on the simple things, your connection to the Internet is critical to everything else.

CCleaner is good for purging the system of old, usless junk files/data laying around, robbing you of performance. It doesn't have to be ran daily, but once weekly is good. Note that on the 1st sweep, it may find 2-3GB of data to delete, this is normal. Disk Cleanup, ran as is, misses a lot. Ran as Administrator, it deletes more, still not as much as CCleaner. It's a start to "tune up" your computer & doesn't have the dangers that some more potent apps such as ASC & Glary Utilities has. These type of of utilities often does more harm than good. CCleaner is good enough.

Be sure to run a Full scan with your installed security afterwards (Avast). You can schedule scans, even with the Free version. I run automated Full scans daily for best possible protection, but not all users may want to do that. It depends on how much CPU & RAM you have.

If these basic steps doesn't solve your issues, then you may wish to consider posting in the Malware section of the forum for recommendations.

Best of Luck,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users