Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes 2.0 Released

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 WhiteZero

WhiteZero

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:16 PM

News: http://blog.malwarebytes.org/news/2014/03/malwarebytes-anti-malware-2-0/

Download: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

Introducing Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0

Right now, you'll have to manually update to 2.0 using the above download link. We'll slowly start pushing the update that allows you to update within 1.75 next week.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:11 AM

Hi  Guys...

I just heard about the new 2.0 version & I was going to update my 1.75 but I think while the lifetime license fee is still available for the Pro version with real time protection ,I am going to go for it.......is it worth it in comparison to the free version & isn't odd that the 1.75 just doesnt automatically update it7self to the 2.0 version,I would think siince it updates a few times a day(or it seems to)that it would include the new version?AWnyway,what do you all think about the Pro version?

Thank you ....Kwik

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

#4 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

Hi  Guys...

I just heard about the new 2.0 version & I was going to update my 1.75 but I think while the lifetime license fee is still available for the Pro version with real time protection ,I am going to go for it.......is it worth it in comparison to the free version & isn't odd that the 1.75 just doesnt automatically update it7self to the 2.0 version,I would think siince it updates a few times a day(or it seems to)that it would include the new version?AWnyway,what do you all think about the Pro version?

Thank you ....Kwik

Hi.

I've been using MBAM Pro since Sept 2012 with no issues.  It's been working well simultaneously with Norton 360 AV for about 15 months.

Regarding the lifetime license, MBAM discontinued that officially, from their site with the release of Ver 2.0 but I imagine that the previous (v1.75) Pro license can be obtained elsewhere for a while.

The good news is that if you already have the lifetime license, it's transferrable when upgrading to the new version.

I haven't upgraded yet to Ver 2.0 since, over at the MBAM forum, there's numerous members posting about issues encountered with the new upgrade.  It's a major upgrade, with the Console appearances completely different than the previous Console versions.

I decided to wait a while before upgrading to Ver 2.0 to allow time for them to resolve the issues.

The auto-upgrade will begin next week, according to the MBAM forum Admin.  I think they're allowing more time to work out the issues before turning that service on.

I unchecked my "auto-upgrade" box in my 1,75 Pro console for now.

Regarding the decision to purchase the Pro version vs the Free version, in my opinion, it's a good choice.  I like the dual-layer protection with an antimalware-specific tool in addition to a mainline AV tool.

MBAM Pro has blocked numerous 'net sites, in addition to removing and blocking PUP's that my AV didn't detect.

One of the main advantages, to me, with MBAM Pro is the Scheduler utility.  I like to run PC scans unattended, at a time when I'm not using the PC.  The Scheduler allows me to do that, running nightly scans.  I do the same with my Norton AV Scheduler.

Another advantage with the Pro version vs Free, is the "Flash" Scan tool that the Pro version provides.  It's now called "Hyper" scan with V2.0.  This will scan your PC after each definitions auto-update, depending on the user's settings.  I like it since I can detect PUP's (or other threats) after each update.  I'm not sure about V2.0 but with the older versions, the frequency can be set from 1 to 59 minutes.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,558 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:04 AM

......is it worth it in comparison to the free version...

Yes its worth it. See my write up in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools

...isn't odd that the 1.75 just doesnt automatically update it7self to the 2.0 version

The development team is aware and may release a fix for this at some point.

#6 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:37 AM

Hi Guys...

I decided to write to MalwarBytfes to ask if I can still get their lifetime license & they said "yes"thhat they still had the optikon available upon request so I am making the purchase...................Thanks Scoop for your evaluation (much appreciated)& I have read everything you wrote "Quietman"& I think it is a well spent $24.95.........it's always better to spend a little now in the prevention of problems that could cost so much more to save "a penny" only to spend a dollar-lol   

As always,thank you for helping me to make good decisions..................                                  Sincerely,Kwik(newleeping)

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

#7 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

Hi Quietman...

May I ask you another question.....I purchased the license & am now running the new 2.0 Premium(Pro) & it sure looks different but there are an awful lot of settings....I basically left them as recommended but I am wondering .....is my computer protected when it is turned off or are there no threats when your computer is not turned on.....if this is a dumb question plpeae forgive my ignorance but I really don't know the answer,I am asuming if it is not on then there wouldn't be any access to it but in this techno world I am just bewildered as to how it all works

Now if I could just fully comprehend "WinPatrol" I would bve thrilled ,I have read your info & the links you pprovided 100x's & it is just a bit beyond my comprehension(but I am trying)

Gratefully yours,,,,,newbleeping

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,558 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

I'm not sure I understand your question. If the computer is turned off, nothing is active including legit or malicious programs. The computer needs to be started for any of your security protection to kick in. If malware is present and starts to do something...that's when your security tools should take action.

Malwarebytes protection is automatic by default...I did not have to change any settings other than when I want it to automatically run a Threat Scan.

The development team is still in the process of creating new help desk links with information about various aspects of the new version settings. So far, they have created this topic: FAQs: What does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 mean for me?

Also, you may want to read and subscribe to this topic: Bleeping Computer Malwarebytes 2.0 Discussion Topic. That is where folks post comments and have been asking questions.

As for WinPatrol you don't have much to do either...just let it monitor your computer after installation. These are a list of things it does:
  • Takes a snapshot of critical system resources and provides alerts if any changes occur.
  • Serves as a Startup Manager which works much better than MSConfig.
  • Tracks programs that have been installed on your system and monitor the location Windows uses to store Uninstall information.
  • Alerts to changes in programs that run at startup.
  • Alerts if another program has removed a Startup program.
  • Has the ability to delay the launch of a Startup programs.
  • Monitors toolbars, registry modifications, changes to file extensions and changes to the HOSTS file.
When you receive an alert...then you have to make a decision whether to allow or reject the change. Keep in mind that a lot of legit programs make changes so an alert does not always mean something is wrong.

WinPatrol Support & FAQs
WinPatrol Help and Documentation Menu
How to Use WinPatrol for Windows
How to detect unknown malware with WinPatrol

#9 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:46 AM

Good Morning Quietman

Thank you ,You understood my question perfectly & answered it so that I do understand now...................Thank you for all the great links,& for explaining so simply what WinPatrol does.....why can't they explain things so easy to understand as you do?

Well,I think I will go read now...................Have a great day     

Gratefully....Kwik :busy:                                     

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,558 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:00 AM

You're welcome Kwik.

Happy reading and have a great day yourself.

#11 zer0p0int

zer0p0int

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

I've noticed that the new Malwarebytes Antimalware GUI is designed for 1024x768 or higher resolution. When using an older computer in safe-mode, the tool becomes too large to be usable. Anyone have a fix for this?

#12 WhiteZero

WhiteZero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:32 PM

I've noticed that the new Malwarebytes Antimalware GUI is designed for 1024x768 or higher resolution. When using an older computer in safe-mode, the tool becomes too large to be usable. Anyone have a fix for this?

Ehhh, functionality seems fine at 800x600, you might need to drag the window around a little bit. But since they're considering changes to the new UI anyway, I'll make a post asking to perhaps size the app to fit properly in 800x600.

Edited by WhiteZero, 15 April 2014 - 01:35 PM.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,558 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:20 PM

For any issues with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 the development team recommend you start a new topic in the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Help Forum and report them there.

That way if there are further questions, you can ask or answer directly.

#14 WhiteZero

WhiteZero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:12 AM

I checked a bit more into running MBAM at 800x600, and you can just use the Maximize button to fit the program to your screen properly.

#15 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:53 PM

I just read the Softpedia review on the new Mbam and it's terrible ,  mediocre detection rates and very poor ability to remove malware.  Seems the old one was far better

Edited by herbman, 16 April 2014 - 06:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users