Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sophos

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Genex17

Genex17

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/507417/best-anti-virustrojanmalware-for-mac-2013/page-0 - Hamluis.

Ok, since using Sophos, I have had mal/htmlgen-a warnings on some websites. What's that about?

I know Mac users can get Malware if they install something without checking it out, but is it possible for web browsers to install malware on a mac without user permission or knowlege?

Edited by hamluis, 24 March 2014 - 10:18 AM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Genex17

Genex17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

I'm running Mac OS 10.9.2 on a mid 2009 Macbook and these are Windows programs.

Actually I did post this in the Mac forum,but it was moved here by a moderator.

Edited by Genex17, 24 March 2014 - 07:01 PM.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

I have asked another and want to leave this here.

Summary
More information

Mal/HTMLGen-A is the threat name associated with web pages that have been classified as malicious by SophosLabs.

Web pages blocked by Sophos products as Mal/HTMLGen-A are likely to be present in an infection chain aimed at downloading and executing malware on a user's machine. This tactic is used by exploit kits such as the Blackhole Exploit Kit.

A detection of Mal/HTMLGen-A indicates that access to a web page has been blocked by Sophos Live URL filtering.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:02 AM

I know Mac users can get Malware if they install something without checking it out, but is it possible for web browsers to install malware on a mac without user permission or knowlege?

If the correct sequence of vulnerabilities are in place, then yes. Drive by downloads are not impossible simply by virtue of running OSX.

Traditionally, most malware is ineffective against OSX. This is because of one fact, and one fact only: most malware is not written to attack OSX.

OSX users still occupy a tiny market share of the OS market, with Windows having a much larger share. Therefore, it is in the best interest of malware writers to design their infections and attacks so that they can attack the greatest number of people.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#5 Genex17

Genex17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:43 AM

Thanks for your reply. Sophos Mac simply warned and blocked the suspicious web pages, and I did not insist on visiting them. A Sophos scan today did not reveal any threats. Also since the Java plugin appears to be a factor, I disabled that in Firefox v 27 long ago and Safari does not have it at all.

Firewall on and latest OSX updates all applied. Sophos is just insurance.

I'm not seeing any issues. I had a question on "drive by downloads", and from I understand, there isn't a major problem here.

Thanks again and I'll monitor this thread for any further updates.

Gene.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users