Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Static IP routing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mlostandconfuseda

mlostandconfuseda

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:13 AM

This question may sbe much simpler than I am explaining it so please excuse me if it is confusing...

I have 10 static IP's from Comcast, using thier modem and a Netgear dual WAN firewall (FVS336GV2) thier modem is bridged.

Everything is working fine. Right now I have a couple devices- server, cameras, etc... and I have dual NIC cards in each. One for a static from the provier and one for a local WAN address.

My question is- how would I (if possible) route a specific static IP to in turn go to the internal WAN address to elminate the direct connection to the static Ip and just route it to a local.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

I'm not sure what you are trying to do. So I am a little confused.

what are you calling local WAN?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 mlostandconfuseda

mlostandconfuseda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:40 AM

Sorry I meant LAN not WAN....

What I am trying to do is :

Comcast static x.x.x.56 <---- SEND TO-----> 192.168.x.a

Comcast static x.x.x.57 <---- SEND TO-----> 192.168.x.b

and so on.....

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

lol ok....I thought so but wanted to make sure =)

That is what a router does. I don't know your setup or why you need 10 static IPs but your little diagram is NAT(network address translation)  

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:21 AM

Typically, on the home/soho gear, you use firewall rules to do this.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

#6 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:30 AM

With any luck you have a page that looks like this in your firewall rules.

You set the internal IP to the designated device, then change the NAT IP from WAN Interface to Single Address. From there, type in the desired external address, save it, and everything should work.

Now, on my SRXN 3205, I have found that this only works on INBOUND rules. If you do this, and need to use secure protocols, you will have trouble, as the outbound traffic will still be sent over the WAN Interface IP address... at least, if it works the same way mine does.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users