Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Temp is too low?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sogin

Sogin

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:30 AM

For Computers hardware what temp is too low to turn it on? I keep it in my attic which I heat every day/night but it is Woodstove, so no me= no heat. And with this crappy freaking year and it staying colder for 2 times longer than it's freaking supposed to the room gets cold daily, but how cold is too cold?

Edited by Sogin, 24 March 2014 - 07:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:47 AM

Hi,

as long as it's above freezing temperatures I think you should be fine.. If it gets below the freezing point you may need to worry about condensation accumulating on the hardware and causing short circuits.

regards

myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Sogin

Sogin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:11 AM

Ah, alright. Thanks a lot.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:12 AM

Agree with myrti.....you would want to allow a computer to warm up and dry out for a time if you are bringing it from a cold area to

a much warmer area.....causing dew/ condensation to form.....or the opposite...hot to cold.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Sogin

Sogin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:23 AM

Well, it never goes to freezing levels, just cold. So, if it needs to be freezing to affect anything I should be okay. =P

#6 dikbozo

dikbozo

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

I forgot and left my laptop over night in the vehicle a couple of weeks ago. The temperature went well below the freezing point. All was well as I warmed the el cheapo laptop up slowly to room temperature before powering it up and I did not plug in the charger.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:23 AM

I feel you are more than likely Ok, heating with wood makes for nice dry conditions.  I heated with wood and then coal for a number of years I had to use a humidifier it was so dry.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:02 PM

LCD displays are more prone to failure than the older CRT or plasma displays.  Most other electronics loves it when it's cold.  I've run some laptops and desktops along with mechanical scan units as low as minus 55 degrees below zero F.  Battery packs work better too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users