Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello to all, I'm having some bleeping issues!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Xailiax550

Xailiax550

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:20 AM

First off let me say hello to everyone here, I have used this site many a time when having computer issues and I always find helpful information to solve the problem.

I now have an issue which I can't seem to fix by surfing google and other sources to find the answer so I'm hoping I'll be able to get some help here. Tonight I tried to use windows update to install and update to my Intel HD graphics 3000, the update failed, so I though no biggy I'll just hide the update for now and deal with it later.

I restarted my computer to allow the other updates to finish configuring and to my surprise my laptop display is now stuck @ 1024x768. My only other option is 800x600 and I used to have many options including 1200x900 which is what I usually ran.

I tried going into system deviced and uninstalling this display adapter in hopes that windows update would allow me to install the proper driver but to no avail.

I'm fairly new to trouble shooting technical issues with display adapters so if there are any logs or anything like that I need to post please let me know what they are and where to find them.

The windows update error #s are 80070103 and 800F0217.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:00 AM

I would think that a reinstall of the driver for that card would solve the problem. Intel recommends checking your

computer manufacturer or mother board manufacturer for the driver as manufacturers often make changes to the drivers to suit your hardware.

If you need help doing any of that...finding appropriate driver....performing the reinstall, etc., post the brand and model for your computer.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:39 PM

The Microsoft Update service is not the best place to get hardware drivers from unless they happen to be built by Microsoft. If you need hardware drivers, the best place to get them is from the manufacturer's web-site. You have obviously had a glitch with these drivers. I would reccomend the following sequence :

(1)   Go to the Intel website and download the HD 3000 drivers, and save them somewhere you can find them again. 'Downloads' will do fine.

(2)   Go into 'Device Manager' - click 'Start - Control panel - System' and in the top right corner you will see 'Device Manager'. Click on this and you will see a display of             your computer's hardware.. Click on 'Display adapters' to expand it and you should see 'Intel HD 3000'. Double click on this and a gray box should open.

(3)   In this grey box, click on 'Driver' at the top, then click 'Update'. In the box that opens do NOT click the Automatic version, click 'Browse to' and go and find the drivers  

you just downloaded and install them from there.

This should have you back seeing your screen in normal resolution. You may need to do a re-boot after the install.

As a general note, if hardware is working correctly and to your satisfaction, you do not really need to update the drivers since they do not pose any sort of security risk.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users