Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer laptop starts but has black screen

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:35 PM

Keep an eye out for one saying parts only, I grabbed a couple of stunning deals off and on.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:38 AM

If you can not get the computer apart, it will be impossible to determine the exact problem. In your case I suspect main board or cpu. Without ram, if both of those parts were good, you would get a post fault beep code (as long as your mainboard speaker was attachd and working). Since the computer is not working, I might suggest breaking the plastic (carefully) to get it apart. The bottom plastic can be replaced for around $50 usually. The top plastic is generally around the same cost. Whether or not it is worth that is another question. If it is the mainboard, I would suggest buying a new computer. Usually "new" boards can not be found easily or they are not cheap. I would never buy a used laptop board. A lot of them have been "reworked" or "reflowed" this has never been a reliable solution for me in the past. I have reflowed many chipsets and have only had a few make it more than a year or 2.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#18 stqcb

stqcb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:24 PM

I managed to get the laptop open without much damage. I unplugged everything I was able to including the CPU and put everything back together, but still the same thing.

I also got a HD enclosure and plugged the HD into another computer and it works so it seems like the HD is fine. I'm backing up the files as I type this.

Not sure if it's appropriate to ask here, but if I buy a new laptop what would be a good brand or model to get these days for under $1000. I do a lot of Photoshop and some video editing. Not much into gaming though.

#19 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:55 PM

I recommend: ASUS, Dell, Toshiba, toshiba hard drives are not good, they almost always use their own drives in their own computers: expect a failure. I have seen many manufactures use toshiba drives though so backup is always the key. I am also not saying all toshiba hard drives are going to fail quickly, but in the retail world after seeing 1000's of drive failures I can tell you they do not have a good track record with hard drives. Their laptops seem to be relatively reliable though.

ASUS or Dell are the 2 I recommend the most. Samsung and Sony are good: parts are more expensive and taking them apart can be a nightmare. Dell usually are easy to work on. Since you use photoshop, I would recommend something with an i5 or above and decent amount of ram 6gb or so. Then if you can find a discrete video card that fits into the budget that would help out with photoshop quite a bit. HP pro books seem ok, STAY AWAY from the hp dv series, g series, compaq q series. They had loads of issues with heat and video chipset failures, maybe one day they will fix this. Also STAY AWAY from the cheapo dell economy models m50xx and n50xx these have video chip problems as well.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#20 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

Quite some time back I booted my Acer to a black screen I searched the Acer blog and found fix using FN and F6 or F5, I did it and had an instant fix.  Worth trying!  I dug up the article on Cnet Hold the FN key down the hit F6.

Edited by OldPhil, 25 March 2014 - 07:39 PM.

#21 stqcb

stqcb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:37 AM

Thanks for the recommendations zingo156. Looks like I'll be shopping for a new laptop now. I hate unexpected expenses.

OldPhil - I tried that too. I thought the screen was just turned off for some reason so the first thing I did was to try to toggle the screen on/off and brightness settings.

#22 stqcb

stqcb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:42 AM

Hey zingo156, thanks for all the advice so far. Just wondering, what do you think of this laptop?

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/toshiba-toshiba-satellite-p50-15-6-laptop-grey-intel-core-i7-4700mq-1tb-hdd-16gb-ram-windows-8-p50-a-01e/10257006.aspx?path=ede9aac605d7dcf23239a0e75c43a375en02

#23 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:20 AM

+1 on the Toshiba mine has out preformed my two Acer's having -0- issues in two years so far.  I believe the worries about their HD's is mute they bought part of Hitachi which made the very best drives for many years.  I would not hesitate to buy again!

Edited by OldPhil, 29 March 2014 - 08:21 AM.

#24 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:38 AM

I think the toshiba would make a very good computer for your budget. I do recommend backing up your data frequently, their drives do have reliability problems. Maybe the newer ones are better. It's always a good idea to backup either way. Also with a computer that has a i7 and discrete video card I recommend you dust it out with canned air at least once every 2 months. These monster computers move a lot of air and the heat syncs can become clogged with dust. Over heating is the #1 cause of failure. I frequently saw gaming laptops with failed video chipsets because they were so plugged with dust they were not able to cool correctly. Just a heads up: dust out your computers and they will last much longer. Cooling pads do not actually help if no air can move through the intake/exhaust.

#25 armoured-smiler

armoured-smiler

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 04:50 PM

Hi,

If this is anything like the HP Pavillion DV series black screen issue then this is how to tell (if so).

Place a cushion under the vent of the cpu/video fan outlet (normally underside of the notebook) to block it, so it will start to 'heat up' the video chip (as now it is not getting it's heatsink cooled so much) to get the solder to temporary breach the fracture.

Start the PC, leave it for 10/15 minuted or so and try rebooting (power off/on).

Now, if the notebook comes to' life', then it is the solder of the video chip has started to fracture/crack.

This procedure lests gets your notebook working, so you can then extract your data, as the only fix now is EITHER computer repair shop OR (if the notebook is not worth the £80 repair) the 'oven cook' method (200-210c for 8 minutes), which might last from a few days to weeks(might last longer if your really lucky).

Regards

Paul

Edited by armoured-smiler, 20 November 2016 - 04:52 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users