Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer laptop starts but has black screen

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 stqcb

stqcb

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:58 PM

Hi there,

I have an Acer Aspire 7552G-5488 laptop. It was working fine yesterday when I turned it off, but today when I went to turn it back on, there's only a black screen.

The laptop seems to be on with the fans running and if I insert a CD/DVD it begins to spin like the computer is trying to read it. One thing to note is that the harddrive image beside the power button usually lights up and flashes but now it doesn't. All other lights light up as usual.

I've tried a few things but none of them worked.

I first tried removing the batteries and unplugging the adaptor then putting them back in. Then I tried powering up with just the adaptor and later with just the battery.

Then I tried connecting it to an external monitor through VGA cable.

After that I tried something I found on the internet suggesting to unplug everything, remove battery and hold down the power button for 30sec to 1 min. One post suggested to put the battery and adaptor back and power on. Another said to put the adaptor back first and power on and off, then put the battery back and power on again. Neither methods worked.

I also tried to reseat the ram and HD. And I tried powering up once with the HD removed trying to get into the BIOS by pressing del, but those didn't work either.

So when I turn on the laptop the screen is completely black as if it was turned off. There's nothing blinking or anything on the screen, just black.

Anyone have any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:29 PM

Ok lets try something.

Do you have another pc? If yes please download

Puppy Linux 5.7.1

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Operating-Systems/Linux-Distributions/Puppy-Linux-Precise-93508.shtml

Burn the .iso to DVD. In windows 7 after the download finishes just click the .iso and a box will pop up asking if you want to burn it, Say yes and follow the prompts.

When its done.

Place the disc in dvd drive set the pc to boot from dvd.

If it boots, The hardware is ok, If not well.( Do not worry this will not damage your pc we just want to see if it will boot)

Please reply here when you have done the above, And we will assist you further.

Edited by NickAu1, 24 March 2014 - 12:25 AM.

#3 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:05 AM

Then I tried connecting it to an external monitor through VGA cable.

does do you mean connect it to external monitor and turn your laptop on and you still get black screen? if yes, maybe it be your VGA chip or your chipset or something on mainboard that have problem, bring it to Acer / Laptop Service Center and let them examine it for you.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:22 AM

I recommend running all the tests below with only the power adapter plugged in (remove the battery):

If you have more than 1 stick of ram, I suggest you pull out all but 1 stick, try to power on. If you have nothing on the screen move the stick to the next slot and try again. If still you have a black screen, try the other stick in 1 slot. Try all sticks in all slots (alone). It could be 1 bad stick of ram or 1 bad slot on the main board causing the problem.

If no ram combination works, you may have a video chipset problem or screen/ribbon cable problem. If you can remove the cmos battery you can try to reset to default settings.

One thing to check on: do you see any faint image at all on the lcd screen? Sometimes backlights fail. If you take a very bright flash light and hold it up against the built in display, can you see any image?

Edited by zingo156, 24 March 2014 - 09:26 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 stqcb

stqcb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

NickAu1 - How do I set the pc to boot from DVD? The screen is completely black so I can't see any options to choose from.

Abauw - Yeah, external monitor doesn't work either. I'm trying to leave bringing it to a center as a last resort since it's usually pretty expensive just for the service fees.

zingo156 - I tried putting each RAM in every slot on it's own, but it didn't work. Right now I can only get to the RAM and and HD ports. I tried taking the laptop apart to get to the other modules but found out that the plastic holding the metal screw slots in place have cracked. So when I turn the screws both the screw and metal casing just turns in place instead of the screw coming out.

I also tried using a flashlight but there's nothing at all on the screen. But it shouldn't be a problem with the LCD screen itself since an external monitor doesn't work either. Should it?

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

Sometimes external monitors are tricky to get working outside of windows. If external does not work at all or the built in display then there is a hardware related issue. If you tried moving ram and still had no video, the next step would be to remove all other hardware that is not needed for the computer to post: hard drive, wireless card, webcam, keyboard, usb devices, touchpad, etc. Also visually inspect your usb ports for damage or shorting pins. It will be tough to do anything unless you can get the computer apart completely. The keyboard should come out easily. I would look for a youtube video on how to disassemble your make and model laptop something like this: .

Edited by zingo156, 24 March 2014 - 11:27 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,757 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:14 PM

Only a hunch it may be mechanical!  No HD light pretty much shows the drive is not spinning, though a unorthodox thing to do, with it running and flat on the table is to give it a bump or two on its side the drive may be stuck.  If it spins up don not turn off let it run grab some flash drives and pull you data off, I have run into this twice on older LT's got away with the thumping trick on one worth a try both drives were N/G unusable.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#8 stqcb

stqcb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:44 PM

zingo156 - Due to the broken screw inserts that I mentioned earlier I wasn't able to take the case off to get to the internals without breaking the case itself. I was able to disconnect the keyboard and pry the case open just enough to get to the CMOS battery. I replaced it with a brand new battery but still nothing. Unless I was supposed to turn on the computer with the battery out to reset it?

OldPhil - I forgot to mention in my initial post that I've already tried that. Thanks for the suggestion though.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,757 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:37 PM

Has it been jostled in any way, maybe some thing is loose.

#10 stqcb

stqcb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:01 PM

Has it been jostled in any way, maybe some thing is loose.

The laptop was just sitting on my desk, untouched, from when I turned it off to when I tried turning it back on and got this problem. I made sure that everything that I can see is seated properly. As mentioned above I can't get the laptop completely opened so there are parts that I can't get to.

#11 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:41 PM

disassemble notebook case will be very tricky, if you push to hard it will broke but if open it step by step it will not broken, sometimes there was a hidden screw that you not see that make it hard to disassemble, usually hidden screw was on DVDrom place or under battery place or somewhere else. but could you take a good picture of screw that you talking about.

but could you try to unplugged your RAM and try to turn your notebook on to test does it have beep sound or not.

#12 stqcb

stqcb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

disassemble notebook case will be very tricky, if you push to hard it will broke but if open it step by step it will not broken, sometimes there was a hidden screw that you not see that make it hard to disassemble, usually hidden screw was on DVDrom place or under battery place or somewhere else. but could you take a good picture of screw that you talking about.

but could you try to unplugged your RAM and try to turn your notebook on to test does it have beep sound or not.

I tried turning it on with the RAM out but got the same thing. No beeps or anything.

Sorry for the quality of the photo. Since my laptop isn't working I had to take it with my phone instead of my regular camera.

The screws in the laptop screw into that golden metal insert which are molded into the plastic case. As you can see in the photo, the plastic that holds it in place is cracked so when I turn the screw the entire insert turns with the screw rather then coming out.

This is one of the screws where I was able to pry the case open enough to reach the insert with a needle plyer to hold it in place so I can unscrew it. There are 3 more with the same problem which I can't reach unless I completely break the case.

Attached Files

#13 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:44 PM

honestly, I hate that screw :axe:

but if I was not wrong Acer really love use that screw for their flip system (or whatever name of that), do you have WD40? if yes give it a litle spray and put your screwdriver and give a litle knock (dont too hard like this :smash: ) just to release it then try to rotate that screw.

it usually use 2 screw like that for attached screen to notebook case, where does that 2 screw you talking about?

#14 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,757 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:16 PM

Is it just me?  How did all the screw bosses get broken, seems like it got a pretty good shot somewhere along the way.  Look on Youtube for your model I bet there is a decent vid on disassembling it, I think it needs looking into!

#15 stqcb

stqcb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:32 PM

Is it just me?  How did all the screw bosses get broken, seems like it got a pretty good shot somewhere along the way.  Look on Youtube for your model I bet there is a decent vid on disassembling it, I think it needs looking into!

That's the thing, aside from putting it in my backpack a half dozen times, the laptop has always stayed home and never dropped or anything. I'm wondering if they heat may be affecting it since the little tab that holds the CMOS battery in place was brittle and snapped when I went to replace the battery.

I've tried looking for videos but can't find any for my specific model. But even if there were the problem is I can't get those three screws off so I won't be able to take the case off without breaking it.

Edited by stqcb, 24 March 2014 - 10:32 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users