Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is AVG enough?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:50 PM

Hi, I've just had Win7 and AVG installed. This is the AVG screen and it seems to give me adequate all-round virus/ spyware/ firewall coverage, or should I also install something like Adaware for extra insurance?

8d7l.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:59 AM

AdwCleaner is a free portable adware cleaner created by Xplode (a BC Security Colleague) that will search for and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, extensions, add-ons, browser helper objects (BHOs) and other junkware to include many related registry entries (values, keys). It will also clean FF and Chrome extensions and Add-ons. AdwCleaner is frequently updated. Before using it to check your system, you should always download and use the most current version.

Just like with anti-virus programs...there is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-malware solution to supplement your existing security protection. You may need to experiment and find the most suitable combination for your needs.

Please see: Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

Quietman is Correct. No one size fits all.

One Big tip, More is not better. Do not install and run more than one Antivirus program.

One Other Tip some of the Programs that add protection to Your existing Antivirus come in paid and unpaid versions.

For example MalwareBytes Free provides no active protection and can only be used to scan and clean infections.

MalwareBytes Pro, The Paid version Provides Active protection and all the other features of the free version.

SUPERAntiSpyware is another that works the same way for Paid and unpaid versions.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 24 March 2014 - 09:14 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

AdwCleaner is a free portable adware cleaner created by Xplode (a BC Security Colleague) that will search for and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, extensions, add-ons, browser helper objects (BHOs) and other junkware to include many related registry entries (values, keys). It will also clean FF and Chrome extensions and Add-ons. AdwCleaner is frequently updated. Before using it to check your system, you should always download and use the most current version.

Just like with anti-virus programs...there is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-malware solution to supplement your existing security protection. You may need to experiment and find the most suitable combination for your needs.

Please see: Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools

I think he is referring to AdAware, not ADWCleaner.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

I forgot to include this...

List of Free Scan & Disinfection Tools which can be used to supplement your anti-virus and anti-spyware or get a second opinion:

Note: Many of these tools are stand-alone applications contained within zipped files...meaning they require no installation so after extraction, they can be copied to and run from usb drives.

Not so Free malware scanning/removal programs:

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:45 AM

I think he is referring to AdAware, not ADWCleaner.

You appear to be correct...I misread that.

mvps.org is no longer recommending Ad-Aware (or Spybot) due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products).

Ad-Aware...have gone into a downhill spiral over the past five years and recently sold the company to Solaria... Majorgeeks stopped listing Ad-Aware as a pick some years ago as we watched the quality of the company slip over the years...it cant stand up to the new generation of anti-spyware applications...

What does the future hold for Ad-Aware?
Lavasoft Controversies

Also read Lavasoft Turning to the Dark Side? written by a former volunteer (now a MVP) who provided support for Ad-Aware but no longer uses the program.

With that said and to be fair, the newer version of Ad-Aware Pro Security 10 has earned Certificates & Awards from AV-Test and did well in Virus Bulletin August 2013 Testing results.

Ad-Aware 10.5 is available in three versions:
* Ad-Aware FREE Antivirus, a proactive malware removal tool that allows users to combat todays toughest cyber threats;
* Ad-Aware Personal Security, a paid upgrade of Ad-Aware FREE that builds upon the products malware protection by adding a powerful Web filter that protects users against phishing attacks and online scams;
* Ad-Aware Pro Security which actively protects users from the most dangerous forms of viruses, spyware, key loggers, Trojans password stealers, bot networks, adware, phishing and drive-by downloads.

Ad-Aware version 10.5

#7 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:21 AM

Thanks guys, so it seems you're saying AVG alone probably won't give me all-round protection and that I also definitely need an anti-spyware prog, is that right?

And shall I buy one or get a free one?

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:24 AM

An anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear and it takes time for them to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-virus researchers before they can add a new threat to database definitions before they can add a new threat to database definitions. Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus is going to detect anything.Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:45 AM

And shall I buy one or get a free one?

MBAM Pro plays well with AVG & is the app that I have on all of my main OS's as supplementary protection. Depending on where one lives, there are still some Lifetime licenses left, that can be removed from one computer & installed on another. In the US, Newegg often runs this on promo for around $15 & on occasion throws in a goodie such as a Flash drive.

Once all of the Lifetime licenses are gone, MBAM Pro with be 1 year subscription only. These are already being distributed in the US, 1 year/3PC for $35 or so. SuperAntiSpyware has also made a similar move, fortunately, I still have 2 Pro Lifetime licenses from 2010.

As others has stated, there's no security app that can catch everything, if there were such, most all of us who cares about our security would be running it, even though it would be pricey.

There is another free antimalware scanner that does a good job & can be ran from a Flash drive, is Emsisoft Emergency Kit V4.

https://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/eek/

And the ESET Online Scanner. This app, as well as EEK V4 that I linked above, uses no computer resources when not in use, so they can be left installed.

http://www.eset.com/int/home/products/online-scanner/

Also, don't forget network security. If behind a router, make sure that remote administration is disabled & disable UP&P unless needed. Change the default network name (often the brand & sometimes even model) of the router & change passphrases regularly.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:54 PM

I agree with cat....and recommend taking advantage of the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Premium) Protection Module in the full version which uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware, Stopping Malware Distribution at the Source. This technology runs at startup where it monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. Keep in mind that this feature does not guarantee something will not slip through as no product can detect and prevent every type of malware.

#11 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:19 PM

Sorry guys if my question wasn't clear enough, let me try again-

I've got AVG installed and it says it protects against "viruses, spyware, worms and trojans".

So is it going to give me all the protection I need, or shall I also install another prog for good measure, yes or no?

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 06 April 2014 - 05:20 PM.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:32 PM

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. You need both AVG and an anti-malware program for comprehensive protection.

Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. In simplistic terms, an anti-virus program will focus on viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkit? and botnets, while anti-malware programs generally tend to focus more on spyware, adware and PUPS (potentially unwanted programs)?. However, there can be some overlap in functionality and detection features depending on the program's scanning engine, how the vendor defines a specific threat and what Naming Standards are used.

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:20 PM

I'll put it this way in hopes that it helps.

I would no more go on the Internet without a Antivirus and a AntiMalware Than drive a car without brakes. I consider them both to be essential protections.

Note that the Paid versions such as MalwareBytes Pro protects whereas the free version is only a cleaner once You get infected and cleaning is a much more time consuming and troublesome process than preventing.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:56 PM

rotor123, that's the way I feel & how my security is ran.

I do mix up brands of security on various computers (most of which has dual boot installs), because one is good for only 3 PC's (NOD32 AV), 2 others are good for only one (KIS2014 & Emsisoft Anti Malware), and the rest of are covered by Bitdefender Sphere (Total Security 2014), unlimited installs on the same network.

All are covered by MBAM Pro & my 2 main ones also with SuperAntiSpyware Pro.

Prevention beats cure by a longshot. I dislike dealing with infections more than anything with computers, as there has been times, despite my best efforts, the OS required a reinstall anyway. Had a decent AV been used along with MBAM Pro been used on these computers, these infections likely wouldn't have happened.

And on topic, system images (backups) taken while the OS is in decent shape & on a regular basis is also a form of protection. I run weekly backups on my main ones, bi-weekly on the others. I'm not going to lose that much data in a week, because anything of importance is stored elsewhere, on a separate drive & truly important items a 2nd copy to CD/DVD.

So backup can be seen as a preventative measure against more than hardware failure. It's a fast rollback to use when needed. It would be my guess that most anyone who has owned one or more computers for years has either relied upon a backup to get out of a jam, or were out of luck because there wasn't one. Like many others, I learned the hard way a few years back, due to out of all things, an infection. I wasn't participating in tech forums then, though I had read some articles on the subject at "Ask Leo", but took it with a grain of salt.

I cannot undo past mistakes, but I have learned from them.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#15 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:08 AM

I'll put it this way in hopes that it helps.

I would no more go on the Internet without a Antivirus and a AntiMalware Than drive a car without brakes. I consider them both to be essential protections.

Note that the Paid versions such as MalwareBytes Pro protects whereas the free version is only a cleaner once You get infected and cleaning is a much more time consuming and troublesome process than preventing.

Good Luck

Roger

Thanks, what confused me is that my AVG says it "protects against viruses, spyware, worms and trojans", and it also provides a firewall, so to my uneducated mind it gives all-round protection.

But if you guys think I should also have an anti-malware prog I suppose I'd better go down the shop and buy one.

It won't conflict with AVG will it, for example I gather we should only have one firewall activated on our system?

Incidentally does my Win 7 also provide protection, I hear its got a firewall too?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users