Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power plan "imfcPowerScheme" added without my knowledge (Dell xpsL501x)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 akjunke

akjunke

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

Hello,

I think this is quite an obscure issue - I checked my PCs power plans earlier tonight and found my laptop using a plan called "imfcPowerScheme" that I've never added or seen before.  I haven't used my battery in a while, so I don't know how long this has been present. 

I googled it extensively and there's very little information, even on the Microsoft support site.  Some forum posts suggest this is the result of malware, so I ran Malwarebytes Anti-malware (clean), AVG Anti-virus Free (clean) and downloaded the Microsoft Safety Scanner (also clean).  One of the Russian forums I translated suggested that this is some kind of manufacturers plan, but I can't confirm that anywhere.  I can still use other plans, but I'd prefer not to delete the suspect plan before finding out what it is. 

Can anyone shed some light on this?  I'm running Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit on a Dell xpsL501x, 4GB RAM and 2.67 GHz i5 processor. 

Thanks. 

Edited by hamluis, 24 March 2014 - 10:44 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:47 PM

I just pulled this from Microsoft!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/imfcpower-scheme-being-created/6c0f52f6-a32b-4803-961d-ec57af62e657?msgId=b2bd1603-45f0-4c83-8a1d-55a3e8179026

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 akjunke

akjunke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:36 AM

I actually have that page bookmarked :) 

I've done the safety scan and it's clean, so all the reply is really recommending is a system restore.  I'm more hoping that someone here might know what that power scheme actually is and how it gets on people's computers.  It's doesn't seem like malware, but you can never be too careful with unauthorised changes. 

Edited by akjunke, 24 March 2014 - 06:36 AM.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

What does the extra plan settings show when you open it? It's probably some kind of a malware. There is probably a way to rip it out of the registry, but doing that has risks. Typing command powercfg -list will give the GUID string of the plans. Then search that string in the registry and investigate how far the rabbit hole goes.

Edited by technonymous, 24 March 2014 - 09:21 AM.

#5 akjunke

akjunke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:23 PM

I think I've pretty much resolved this issue on my PC, but I wanted to post in case anyone else googles it.  There's a guy called 'Podquat' posting on several forums that "imfcPowerScheme" installs in order to prevent sleep/hibernation during video conversion, usually with Xilisoft products.

I occasionally use a program called 'Free Cuda Video Converter 6', so I checked it and found that imfcPowerScheme popped up in power options as soon as I began converting a video with the software.  The scheme has been easy enough to delete from power options after every conversion.  It might still be malware, but I suspect it's not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users