Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP BSOD After Uninstalling Software + Drivers

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 Blaine B.

Blaine B.

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:07 PM

I have not had a single BSOD on my system running Windows XP Home since 2008...literally.

Today, I uninstalled some software.  I uninstalled a PC web camera driver and software and also uninstalled some VIA motherboard update software.  I haven't used this software some time and it is not even set to auto-run when Windows starts up.

I also ran the registry cleaner in Piriform's CCleaner before restarting.

Upon restarting, I was greeted with a BSOD Stop error 0x0000007B (0xF789E528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

No other information.

Using the recovery console, I have attempted chkdsk /r and fixboot.  No fix.  (I have not tried fixmbr)

I also attempted to use system restore through the recovery console.  I only have one recent restore date to try, which was made when I uninstalled the VIA update software.  I followed the steps provided here () and they did not help me.  I still get the BSOD when restarting.  Last known good figuration and safe mode also result in the same BSOD.

Specs:

Asus K8VSE Deluxe Motherboard

AMD 3400+ Processor

Seagate 320mb SATA harddrive

ATI X800 Pro Video

Creative Audigy 2 ZS Audio

She's an older system but that really isn't to blame....there is no hardware issue here...it must be a result of the programs and drivers I uninstalled via add/remove programs, or the registry cleaning process.  I have used the registry cleaning process hundreds of times previously and never had a problem, though.

Can anyone help?  I'm trying to save this without having to install XP all over again, either by format or by "repair" installation.  Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:30 AM

1) Registry Cleaners CAUSE problems, they do not cure them. I suggest you run the UNDO function in the registry cleaner and then never use it again.

2) What VIA mother board software did you uninstall? Look in Device Manager. Are there any yellow or red symbols?

3) Download BlueScreenView:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.

when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All

Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#3 Blaine B.

Blaine B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

I cannot even get into windows.  I get the BSOD before I even see the XP loading screen.  It doesn't matter which function I try, safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, last settings that worked, or start windows normally.  Right after that screen I get an immediate BSOD that is not very specific.

I tried using the recovery console to type in some commands to use the last system restore file created when I deleted the VIA update software, but that didn't change anything, I get the same BSOD like if I didn't do anything.

I am not exactly sure which specific VIA software I uninstalled, but it was an update software that I never used.  I actually didn't have it installed initially but installed it when I updated my bios a few years ago.  Since the motherboard is old, I doubt they will ever come up with a newer bios, which is why I uninstalled.

The only driver that was uninstalled was for the web cam which has not been connected for months.

I removed everything through add/remove programs and then used the registry cleaner before rebooting.  Then I never got back in to windows after that, which is when the BSOD started to occur.

Not even this tutorial helps me at all:

http://www.digitalwebcast.com/2002/03_mar/tutorials/cw_boot_toot.htm

Which is pretty much the same as the video I provided.

Edited by Blaine B., 24 March 2014 - 12:39 PM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

Well, I can only suggest a repair install: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm

#5 Blaine B.

Blaine B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

Is there any reason why I was unable to see the "repair" option anywhere?  I am using an OEM CD that I bought new from an online vendor a few years back.  It is not an upgrade CD, it is a full installation.  I have no problem seeing the XP installation that is currently on the drive so it is not corrupted to the point where it is no longer visible.

From my research it appears that some OEM CDs may not allow a repair installation.  Because they are only restore discs.

But my XP CD is a full installation.  I believe it was called OEM because it did not contain any fancy packaging like a normal full installation CD would.  It just contained the tiny booklet and paper case.

Do you know?

Edited by Blaine B., 24 March 2014 - 02:13 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

Because you received this error after deleting VIA drivers, I think you may have deleted the SATA drivers for your hard drive. It's a long shot but change from AHCI to IDE mode in BIOS and see if the computer boots. Another thing to note is XP does not have native SATA drivers so you will have to download the SATA drivers and slipstream them into a XP install or use a floppy drive to install them using F6 during the install. Only some USB floppy drives are detected by XP.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916196

#7 Blaine B.

Blaine B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:49 PM

I have always done that with my system.  I have the SATA drivers on a floppy drive, press F6, yadda yadda yadda.  Without doing this it can't find Windows.  When doing this it finds Windows, but I still do not receive the option to "repair" install.

I will try the bios change that you suggest when I get home from work.  I am at work right now, so I can't try anything as we speak, I'm just telling you what I tried yesterday.

This almost sounds similar to my issue:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/236914-45-deleted-raid-driver-wont-boot

Now that I think of it, I deleted some RAID utility that was included with the VIA update software.  However, I was not using RAID.  I have my drives plugged into the SATA ports and not the RAID ports, which are separate on my K8VSE Deluxe.  There is a RAID controller which is separate from the normal SATA.

However I am not sure if that viamraid driver is missing or not.  When attempting to boot into safe mode, I do not get a hangup at a particular file.  It seems to load everything normally, and then right before it would display the XP loading logo is when I get the BSOD.

I have had other failures in the past where safe mode would pause indefinitely with a particular driver listed on the screen.  But in this case, it does not do that.

I suppose I can load up my emergency Linux CD operating system, although I am not sure if I can view system files or not.  In the past I have only used that for data backup before a format.

Edited by Blaine B., 24 March 2014 - 03:06 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

You will not see a repair option at first. That is what makes it confusing. Continue with the install to see the OS you have on disk and the option to repair the install.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm

#9 Blaine B.

Blaine B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:32 PM

I went all of the way up to the point where it was saying there was a C:\windows already found.  At that screen it still was not mentioning anything about a repair installation.  I did not progress any further at that point.

Basically, I do not see this option to press r to repair, or press escape for full installation.

xpcl1.jpg

I went all of the way up to the part where it talks about deleting or creating partitions.  Should I have ventured further or not?  From what I gather, the option to complete a repair installation should occur before the partitions screen.  Am I right or wrong?

Edited by Blaine B., 24 March 2014 - 03:49 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

If you do not see the option to press R then you cannot do a repair install, Sorry. I do not know why the install CD you have does not have that option. Do not proceed any further.

Edit: Maybe the OEM took that feature out and only wanted the disk to do a full installation.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 March 2014 - 04:02 PM.

#11 Blaine B.

Blaine B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:11 PM

I know it is available on some other XP upgrade discs that I have that I have also used on other system builds.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:25 PM

Right. I am not sure you could use those disks to do a repair. If it is exactly the same like Home or Pro and you have a valid key, then a repair may work but I could not guarantee it. Also, if you have installed SP3 on the XP computer, then I believe the Install disk would also have to be SP3 in order to to the repair install. It may be best just to bite the bullet, pull off the important info using a linux distro and do a clean install of XP. I would try the IDE mode in BIOS. Hopefully that will get you to a Windows login.

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

If the installed version is not the same as the cd, you will not have a repair option

#14 Blaine B.

Blaine B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:32 PM

Well then that is why.  My XP CD has SP2 at the latest, and I have the latest updates on the operating system itself.

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

You can create a slipstream cd: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users