Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Stuck at Starting Windows after graphics driver update

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 bce22

bce22

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

Good Evening,

I have spent 12 hours trying to fix this problem.  I am working on my sister's machine and really would like to get this running without formatting the hard drive. 

Here is what happened.

Yesterday my sister asked me to remove some malware from her machine.  I used malwarebytes to remove a browser object helper spam.  The machine restarted and booted into windows perfectly.  At the same time I decided to update some of her software and drivers that were years out of date.  I installed the newest AMD Catalyst Driver 14.2 beta.  I did not uninstall the previous version (out of share laziness) and now the computer will not enter windows.

It will hang on the Starting Windows (Black screen).  It will not enter safe mode (freezes after loading atipcie.sys).

I have tried using a windows installation disc to repair windows.  It does not work.  It states it cannot fix the problem.  In the error box it shows bad driver.

I have tried sfc /scannow and it states no problems.

I have tried chkdsk /r and it finds no problems.

Where do I go from here?  I really do not want to have to start again and reinstall all her programs.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

PS.  I can add her drive to my PC to get at the files if necessary.

Regards,

Brad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:20 PM

G'day bce22, and Welcome to BC !!

I have made the appropriate people aware that you have a PC that wont boot....Sit tight !

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 bce22

bce22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:27 PM

Condobloke!  I could kiss you.  I feel like I've been ten rounds with this PC and am down for the count.  Never had this much trouble with a pc before.

And thanks for the welcome!

Edited by bce22, 23 March 2014 - 06:27 PM.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:43 PM

Can you get into Safe Mode?  If so go into control panel and roll back the driver.

Oops! missed you cannot get into SM.  Wait for the bigger guns!

Edited by OldPhil, 23 March 2014 - 06:45 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 bce22

bce22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:46 PM

Yeah no safe mode.  Totally stinks.  If I could this would be done yesterday.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:48 PM

Using the installation disk, you can do a system restore if there are any restore points.

#7 bce22

bce22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

There are no system restore points.  I checked that already.

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:06 PM

My Pleasure dear girl !.....and Thank you !

Someone here will have an answer....as OldPhil said, wait for the bigger guns .....they will respond....may take a while, but they will.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 bce22

bce22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:12 PM

My Pleasure dear girl !.....and Thank you !

Someone here will have an answer....as OldPhil said, wait for the bigger guns .....they will respond....may take a while, but they will.

Im a guy, but I'd still kiss you if you help me fix the problem  :love4u: LOL

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:16 PM

:wink:

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:32 PM

Talk about walking into one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Been out back a bit LONG!

Edited by OldPhil, 23 March 2014 - 07:33 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#12 bce22

bce22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:34 PM

I started it to be fair.

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:35 PM

LOL.....you got that right, phil !!

ooops...back to topic.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#14 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:34 PM

Can you use another display port, or even better. take the graphics card out(If it has one) and then use the onboard VGA port. then see if it starts under its own breath if not then try safe mode with no network loaded. if that doesnt work then you might have to manually reset the bcdedit (Im thinking) or change the drivers that load when the system starts (Means adding the HDD to your machine to do an edit, Im thinking outoruns using the Offline mode)

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 23 March 2014 - 10:35 PM.

#15 bce22

bce22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:22 AM

Hi Johnny thanks for the reply.

This mobo only has one pcie x16 slot. I have tried many combinations of removing the card and disabling the pcie slot in the bios and running it in iGPU mode, to disabling the iGPU and running off the dedicated graphics card. I do not believe I tried to run safe mode with networking however. I probably tried system repair from the installation disc.

I think from here out I need to really start taking this systematically instead of just trying random thinks. Towards the end of my trying to fix it on my own I started to get Stop Errors when trying to load from the DVD. I believe this had to due with me resetting the bios to defaults and not turning the disc settings back to AHCI mode from IDE. This pc has a small SSD as its system drive that is why I originally set it to AHCI when I built it two years ago.

if that doesnt work then you might have to manually reset the bcdedit (Im thinking) or change the drivers that load when the system starts (Means adding the HDD to your machine to do an edit, Im thinking outoruns using the Offline mode)

I can definitely add this drive to my Pc without any problems. I do not know what a bcdedit is but with help I can do it for sure. I can follow instructions fairly well ;)

Not that it probably matters but this is an AMD system.

I am willing to try anything again to set a new baseline so let. Me know. I will be able to respond during the day but I won't be able to work on the PC until tomorrow evening (EST, I live outside Boston, MA).

Thanks all

Edited by bce22, 24 March 2014 - 03:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users