Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error code 0146 on dell inspiron 1545

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kooldoc98

kooldoc98

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:40 PM

well i think there is more to this issue so I will post it in HARDWARE also

I ran a preboot system assessment on advice of DELL (manufacturer)

and got following error

ERROR CODE 0146

msg : error code 2000-0146

msg: hard drive 0 -self test log contains previous error

I have DELL inspiron 1545 with windows VISTA

To my understanding this does not look good but is there anyway I can retreive my data?

Help is appreciated!!

initially i was getting BSOD so had posted in Windows vista forum with the following message

I am unable to start windows and receive the following errors with a BLUE screen.

I have windows vista

STOP: c000021a {fatal system error}

The session manager failed to create protected prefixes system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000).

the system has been shut down.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:49 PM

I would recommend you either attach the drive to another computer and transfer the files or use a small linux distro like Puppy and copy the files to a USB flash or external drive.

If you decide to use Puppy download the 5.2.8 version (middle of page), burn the iso file with isoburner or other burning software that can burn an image. Boot the CD and transfer the files. Your hard drive will appear in the lower left of the desktop of Puppy. Clicking on it will automatically mount it. Attach your USB device and the icon will appear on the desktop, Clicking once on the icon will automatically mount it. Then you can drag and drop the files you need transferred.

Here is a good guide.

http://www.winhelp.us/recover-files-using-puppy-linux-page-2.html

#3 kooldoc98

kooldoc98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:45 PM

thanks JohnC_21 for your reply, I will try it

Do you think I can still use small linux distro like puppy and be able to transfer my files even if my computer is not rebooting at all and I have a BSOD?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:28 PM

thanks JohnC_21 for your reply, I will try it

Do you think I can still use small linux distro like puppy and be able to transfer my files even if my computer is not rebooting at all and I have a BSOD?

Yes, the computer can be unbootable and the Puppy disk will see your files because you are booting from a complete OS on the disk.

#5 kooldoc98

kooldoc98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:42 PM

Thanks JohnC_21

this seemed to work and I was able to retrieve my files ,now its just the matter of transferring them.

Is there any way I can save the hard drive and reboot my computer with this error

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:13 AM

That error code means a failing hard drive or bad sector. You were very fortunate to retrieve all of your data. I would strongly recommend you purchase a new drive. You can burn an iso of Seatools for DOS and run the diagnostics to verify the error. If your BIOS is set for AHCI, you will have to set it to IDE mode in order for Seatools to detect the drive.

Edit: I have misundstood your reply. You said you retrieved the files but did not transfer them, you should transfer them to a USB external as soon as possible and do the Seatools for DOS after.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 March 2014 - 11:06 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users