Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

64-bit ready Vista

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:16 PM

I have a 32-bit Vista computer that I plan on updating to Windows 7

So in checking the computers specs, according to Belarc, it's 64-bit ready

Since the computer only has 1GB RAM, I went to crucial.com and found out the RAM is only upgradeable to 4GB RAM

OK, so I'll upgrade to Windows 7 32-bit

However, I'm curious

--- What benefit is there in a motherboard that can handle only up to 4GB RAM to be 64-bit ready?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:11 PM

If you went to Crucial and ran their scan it is seeing that you currently are running a 32-bit operating system.

If you post the make and model of this computer I can find out what the maximum amount of RAM the motherboard will support.  This is what determines the amount of RAM you can install.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,666 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

Thanks dc3

Dell Dimension E521 Desktop Vista Home Premium SP2

--- However I do not know whether or not the system configuration is the same as it’s original configuration but I like to learn and understand some things when I can

--- There is a refurbished red label on the bottom of the tower and it was bought in Nov 2007

The family asked me if I can get the computer back to its original condition so it can be donated to a family we are helping at the non-profit organization we volunteer at

When I entered the service tag number 1S11WC1 on Dell’s website, this is what I found:

Service Manual Model DCSM ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-e521_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Owner’s manual ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-e521_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

--- It appears to me the original OS was Windows XP and the computer had a SATA hard drive

So here is the motherboard info I got from Belarc, Speccy & CUI-Z

--- Since this is a refurbished computer, maybe the motherboard isn’t different than the original system but this is what is reported

Belarc main circuit board info:

--- Dell Inc Bus Clock: 1000 megahertz BIOS: Dell Inc 1.1.8 04/18/2007

Speccy motherboard info: Manufacturer: Dell Inc Chipset Vendor: NVIDIA

--- Chipset Model: GeForce 6150 Chipset Revision: A2

CPU-Z motherboard info: Same as Speccy

Then the hard drive information that’s being reported is

ST316081 2AS SCSI Disk Device (160.00 GB} from Belarc, Speccy & CPU-Z

--- I don’t understand SCSI but it doesn’t appear to relate to SATA to me

--- The hard drive info probably isn’t necessary for you but I thought I’d include it just in case

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:27 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,666 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:57 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/z1PbRyFI2OnwrJZLaciCYeu

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:41 AM

Belarc indicated that your computer is 64-bit ready, what they are referring to is the CPU being capable of running a 64-bit operating system.

The Speccy snapshot shows that Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 is installed on this computer.

I looked at the owners manual for this computer and it shows that this originally came with XP.  If you wanted to do a PC Restore this would be problematic.  But you have indicated that you want to upgrade to Widows 7.  So what you need to do is determine if this computer is compatible with Windows 7.  In order to do this go to the Windows Download Center and download the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

If your computer is compatible with Windows 7 you may want to upgrade from XP rather than Vista.  Apparently it is possible to upgrade from XP to Vista, then to Widows 7, but from what I've read it is a royal pain.

If your computer is compatible, or can be made compatible Microsoft has instruction for reverting back to XP, you can find this at Microsoft Support.

The motherboard in this computer will only support 4GB of RAM.  This isn't because of the operating system, this is the listed maximum amount of RAM this motherboard will support.  I have a computer running Windows 7 with 3GB of RAM and it runs quite well.

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,666 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:21 PM

dc3, thanks to your help I now have my 64-bit curiosity in perspective

--- Noting as you did that its the CPU that's 64-bit capable, that's an excellent bit of information

I have run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and everything comes up with green checkmarks and I do plan on upgrading from the installed Vista

--- The main reason is because I want the experience of doing so

--- My son has a Vista desktop & a Vista laptop

--- His Vista desktop is loaded with whatever from family usage and he's willing to allow me to upgrade it to Windows 7

--- He hasn't decided yet on whether or not he will do so on the laptop

--- In any case, I am going to use my Vista desktop to experiment on how to upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista

--- This Vista computer was just given to me for free because the family didn't need it anymore and they know I will donate a good working computer to a needy family at the non-profit organization I volunteer at when applicable

------ All I had to do was reinstall it back to factory condition upgrade the RAM from 1GB to 3GB

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

Let us know if you need any further help.

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,666 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:20 PM

Today I custom upgraded my Dell Dimension E521 Desktop Vista Home Premium SP2 32-bit to Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 32-bit and it went well but I need help to understand or manage the way the hard drive is partitioned before I move on

I was getting a message that the Recovery drive was very low on space and when I clicked on the balloon message I was given an opportunity to free up I believe it was 84MB of space through disk cleanup which I followed up on

Then I went into Disk management and here is the info

Volume unnamed OEM Partition: Capacity 39 MB Free space: 39 MB = 100% free

Volume OS ©: Capacity 138.97 GB Free space: 92.52 GB = 67% free

Volume Recovery (D): Capacity 10.00 GB Free space: 593 MB = 6% free

The hard drive is ST316081 2AS SCSI Disk Device (160.00 GB)

So I have the following questions

On the Recovery partition, there’s only 6% free space

--- Is this normal?

--- Before I go any further, should I expand that volume a little more?

--- If so how much and how would I do that??

--- I saw an option to shrink the volume but that doesn’t apply in my case

--- But if I shrink the OS volume, will that help the Recovery partition expand?

--- I do not have a clue on how to manipulate partitions

On the OEM partition, how can that be helpful to me?

Then I looked up Windows.old and it takes up 22.6 GB

--- How will I know when I can delete that folder as I believe that should increase my C drive space by that amount. Is that true?

#10 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:51 AM

However, I'm curious

--- What benefit is there in a motherboard that can handle only up to 4GB RAM to be 64-bit ready?

32 bit operating systems can only use up to 3gb of ram (maybe a tad bit more, not sure exactly how that works), but not the full 4 GB. So the benefit, ram-wise, would be 1 extra gb of ram.

I'm sure you will get a more complete answer from someone else, but, in my opinion, don't worry about the OEM partition, it's too small to bother messing about with partitions (and maybe windows wants it that way for some reason). Also, I think the recovery drive isn't going to be used (actually isn't it odd that it has a drive letter??) so it doesn't matter if it's only got 6% free because nothing additional will be stored on it. I don't mess with partitions after windows has been installed, I'm sure other people are braver than me in that respect...   Far as I can see you don't have a problem, and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I don't know about that windows.old thing though.

#11 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,666 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:15 AM

Thanks bloodshot, I believe you are right; "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but I wanted to check before I moved on as this is the first time I've done a Win7 install

--- Since I cleaned up the 84MB of space on the recovery drive, I'm not getting the low space warnings anymore

--- I'm doing Windows Updates right now and I'll be creating an image on my external hard drive later on

On the Windows.old, I believe I read that I can delete that folder and I'll research that today to make sure I don't delete it until it's time

--- I did know about the Windows.old before I started, but I didn't recall what I had read about it beforehand

--- During the install, a message showed up reporting that the Windows.old would be created and I think it read that I could delete but I didn't keep track of when

--- After the Windows updates are completed I'll see what's in there

I did a fresh install without purposely carrying anything over from the Vista OS because I didn't have to carry anything over and I suspect I don't have to worry about Windows.old but I'll be double-checking on how to handle it and eventually deleting that folder

--- The intended use of this computer is for a volunteer I volunteer with but if he changes his mind (which does happen sometime) I'll put it to good use myself

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:26 AM

A 32-bit operating system has an Address Space of 4GB.  This space is not only used for the RAM, but for other critical functions such as the system BIOS, motherboard resources, memory mapped I/O, AGP, PCI, PCI-E, and other memory allocations for PCI devices use this space as well.  This means that the more PCI cards installed will require more memory resources, resulting of less memory free for other uses, like RAM. Typically a 32-bit operating system will recognize between 3.3GB and 3.5GB of total RAM.

Edited by dc3, 10 April 2014 - 09:27 AM.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

However, I'm curious

The 64-bit ready means that the CPU is capable of running a 64-bit operating system.  This has no relation to RAM.

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,666 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

However, I'm curious

The 64-bit ready means that the CPU is capable of running a 64-bit operating system.  This has no relation to RAM.

Thanks dc3.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:53 PM

Your more than welcome. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users