Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Launch games - computer cuts off and restarts 5 seconds later.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DCBronco

DCBronco

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

Hey guys, this has been an ongoing problem off and on for a couple weeks now. My system is 3 years old and bought from Cyberpower. It's an i7 3.6ghz with 6gb ram, Nvidia 570 Ti graphics card and an ATX 800w PSU. This problem has endured even after I did a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro.

When I launch a graphic intensive game, namely Planetside 2 and Payday 2 (haven't tried many other titles to see if they have problems too) but the game launches fine. But when I get the game loaded and get ready to go kick some ass about a second the computer will cut off completely for 5 seconds, no BSoD or anything. After 5 seconds it will turn back on and boot back up to Windows.

I have ruled out heating issues as all temp monitors appear to be in the green and my room has been quite cold the past couple nights. I've pretty much cornered the diagnosis to being either the Graphics card failing or the PSU failing. I'm just not sure if that is indeed it.

Is there any advice or tests I can run to determine which it is? Or is there possibly a different cause that I'm just not seeing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jozzyjay

jozzyjay

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:45 AM

hi 

is this problem occurs only when you play games? or its something that happen often?

#3 DCBronco

DCBronco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

So far yes. I haven't had it happen to anything other than games. It always happens when something graphic intensive comes on the screen. I've tried doing OCCT tests on both the graphics card and PSU and it will restart on it's as soon as I hit the button to start the test. It's either the PSU or Graphics card but I just can't figure out how to determine which it in fact is. I certainly don't want to buy a PSU and then it turns out to be the Graphics card or vice versa.

#4 zolton34

zolton34

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:25 AM

Sounds similar to my problem except i'm using a geforce gt 630 from sparkle. Mine i've narrowed it down to the gp over heating. My feed to my monitor stops then a few seconds later my pc restarts. If your card is more then a year old many say that taking your gpu fan off cleaning off the gpu and then putting new heat paste and replacing the fan may fix it if it is indeed the gpu as i suspect mine is. You can download HWMonitor a free program to monitor your temps of your pc as well as its voltages to help find out if its your psu or your gpu. After a restart i instantly launched that program and noticed my gpu was running 70+ degrees celsius after a fresh reboot. Which is why i suspect my card. Worth checking out.

#5 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:13 AM

What is the power supply?

Do you have a multimeter/volt meter handy?

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users