Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Run xp/ubuntu safely with dual boot?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chessnut2

chessnut2

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

Hello all. This is my first post, although I've been going to the site for years. My question is about whether I can safely continue to use xp for applications and just use linux for internet usage. Specifically, if I install Ubuntu as dual boot, can I disable XP internet access?

I replaced xp on my computer with Ubuntu, and I'm fine with it. But I got my wife to sit down with it, and I don't think she's going to be able to handle it for anything except internet browsing. So I need to know if I can just disable xp for internet access, and will it be safe for her to be online just in linux, or is there a chance that she can pick up viruses or malware even though xp is disabled.

If this is a plausible solution (aside from replacing xp with win7 or 8, which I can't afford to do right now), how do I go about disabling xp? Thanks. Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jeffce

jeffce

Bleepin' Super Saiyan

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:53 PM

If you have Ubuntu and Windows XP set up on your system in a dual-boot configuration, you should be able to simply disable the network access for the Windows XP system like you normally could before when there was only Windows XP on the computer.  In a dual-boot configuration, the operating systems are completely autonomous.  As far as I can see, if the Windows system is not connected to the internet, there should be no problems with worrying about getting an infection.  In essence, if a computer is not connected to the internet, it really just turns into a storage medium that can run software and the ways it can get infected are dropped down to an infected USB or other manual way of transferring an infection.

Hope this helps and if anyone has anything to add or correct, please do so.   :)

Edited by jeffce, 23 March 2014 - 07:01 PM.

WFxJwA4.png

mvp_horizontal_fullcolor-(copy2).jpeg

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:46 PM

In a dual-boot configuration, the operating systems are completely autonomous.  As far as I can see, if the Windows system is not connected to the internet, there should be no problems with worrying about getting an infection.

Yes I would agree with that.

You should try Linux Mint it's a lot more user friendly.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 chessnut2

chessnut2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:11 PM

To  Jeffce and Nickau1.................thanks for your advice. That's the way I thought it was but wasn't sure. I appreciate the quick replies. Also, I think I will try Mint. I don't have any data yet on my computer, so no big hassle to replace Ubuntu with Mint and try it out. Good tip. Jim

#5 chessnut2

chessnut2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:14 PM

Also, guys, do you recommend Mint Cinnamon or Mint Debian? Thanks.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:22 PM

Try this.

http://linuxmint.tumblr.com/post/50029503950/australis-mate-1-6-lts-is-developed-in

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#7 chessnut2

chessnut2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:47 PM

Thanks, Nick. I'll try australis. I forgot to mention in my original post that the computer is connected to a home network. Will this make any difference in disabling only the xp on the 2 computers?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users