Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update REALLY messed up my laptop!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hayride2@windstream

hayride2@windstream

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:11 PM

I have an HPPavilion g6 Laptop, AMD A6-4400M APU with Dadeon HD Graphics 2.70 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 64 bit OS, x64-based processor, Windows 8. The other day, against my better judgement, I allowed all the Windows 8 updates to update & install.  After 9 hours I decided it hung up and wasn't going to install so I forced a shut down.

It wouldn't start properly so I did a system restore.  That was the beginning of all my problems.  I have to do a restore EVERY time I start it.  At first it was running okay but I couldn't print with it.  After trying to print, unsuccessfully several times, a window popped up saying my computer encountered a problem and would have to restart.  When it restarted the window for my login came up, I logged in and after several moments it was like the monitor was just turned off.  The harddrive light was still flickering leading me to think it was loading up but the monitor wasn't working.  I hooked up an external monitor to see what was going on and all I got was a dark screen and the cursor, which I could move but I just couldn't do anything.  No right clicking or getting anything else to come up.  I could Ctrl-Alt-Delete but when I select task manager the box just disappears like nothing was selected.

I did a hard shut down and pressed esc to pull up the options for trouble shooting.  When I chose advanced startup and the window opens I noticed I do not have the start up options in the list.  About all I can do is a system restore.  There is no start up option so I can't get to safe mode, as that is where safe mode abides.

I have tried everything I know short of wiping it clean and starting over, which I REALLY don't want to do at this point.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I'm wondering if I should try to do the updates again but this time just leave it alone?  I need help SO badly, I've been fighting this for a week now and I'm about to pull my hair out or commit myself    :crazy:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hayride2@windstream

hayride2@windstream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:34 PM

Okay, so no one could help me, I understand...

I'm only posting this in case anyone else has this problem.

If it hadn't been for one little addition to the "Windows encountered a problem" pop up, which was "bad pool caller" I would probably still be at it! I finally figured out it was the printer causing all the problems. I deleted the printer and uninstalled it from the programs, then plugged it in and let it re-install itself and I haven't had any problems since  :rolleyes:

The "bad pool caller" isn't necessarily a printer problem but I noticed after every system restore the only time I had to restore it again was after trying to get my printer to print something, which it wouldn't do.  So thanks for all of you who looked.  Makes me feel not so dumb since no one else could figure it out either   :wink:  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users