Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can downloads ever "disappear"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bigbrown411

bigbrown411

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

I know this is a very paranoid question, but I'd rather ask a stupid question and get a straight answer from a computer technician or someone who's had years of experience using computers rather than to keep wondering "what if."

So, is it possible for a download to ever "disappear." The reason why I'm asking this is because youtube keeps notifying me that they're going to stop supporting Safari (the web browser I use) and that I should upgrade to a more update browser. I use youtube to download a lot of videos. So I'm just curious if this is possible. Can downloads ever "disappear" or is it possible for my video downloads to not function properly in the future now that youtube has stopped supporting Safari. Again, I realize how paranoid this question. Have a good laugh, but answer with complete honesty.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 poddo

poddo

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:11 PM

How do you download your videos? if you download your videos as .flv or .mp4 files using any kind of video file downloader, then no, you're safe, because once your download is finished and stored in your hard drive which you picked to download it into(assuming that you are talking about manually downloading the video file), the file is stored into your pc and you are to decide if you want to delete it or not. youtube not supporting your browser simply means that once youtube has updated it's structure, the website will not load properly on your browser, as in you won't be able access some of it's new features, the website's layout may be off/weird, videos may not be playable in your browser and buttons may not work etc., nothing serious. this doesn't mean youtube will do anything to the files you already have downloaded, as it does not own the right to do so.

If you have an account on youtube and favorite/like videos, you can use any other browser, log into your account from that browser and find all your favorite videos as this information is not stored into your browser but into your youtube account. making playlists and storing videos inside them is a good way to keep a list of videos you'd watch often, that way, no matter where you are, if you simply go to your youtube channel, you can watch any of your favorite videos at any given time.

And if files DO disappear on your pc without your permission(given that you have saved those certain files yourself, manually,) it may mean that someone else or a virus(most possibly not) is deleting them...that's the only conclusions i can come to.

When you load a youtube video while using your browser and watch it online, it is stored as a temporary file in your C:/ drive, that file can indeed get deleted and often does get deleted once you exit your internet browser or refresh or even just leave youtube to keep good pc speed and space, but that does not mean that the video will be gone from the website itself, it will remain there as long as the uploader did not decide to delete it.

Good luck with your files and your browser.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users