Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about "check for updates"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bigbrown411

bigbrown411

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

If I turn off or delay my "check for updates" under the "Windows Update" in my control panel on my Windows 7 ASUS computer, can it:

1) Screw up the uninstallation process of other programs on my computer?

2) Screw up the installation process of an external hard drive and flash drive

3) Screw up the transfer process of data on this external hard drive of flash drive?

If i were to turn off the "check for updates," it would be for a temporary time. 2-3 days I'd say. Also, these questions apply to if I were to keep the "check for updates" on. So please answer both ways. Thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 24 March 2014 - 06:31 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:51 PM

If I turn off or delay my "check for updates" under the "Windows Update" in my control panel on my Windows 7 ASUS computer, can it:

1) Screw up the uninstallation process of other programs on my computer?

A temporary delay in downloading and applying updates to windows will not cause problems with the deletion/uninstallation of other programs

A permanent shutdown of updates still causes no problems with other programs but does not allow you to receive security updates which leaves your system as risk

2) Screw up the installation process of an external hard drive and flash drive

Same as above

3) Screw up the transfer process of data on this external hard drive of flash drive?

Still the same response

If i were to turn off the "check for updates," it would be for a temporary time. 2-3 days I'd say. Also, these questions apply to if I were to keep the "check for updates" on. So please answer both ways. Thank you.

My recommendation is that you do not turn off the update feature unless you have a compelling reason to do so. And then, I'd only turn it off for the duration of the process that required it. I know of none.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users