Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible for external hard drives to fail from being too cold

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bigbrown411

bigbrown411

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:26 PM

Even if their in a case, is this possible?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:59 PM

Hi,

I would guess that you'd have to be in something like an artic cold to get a drive to go into failure mode. None of the drives that are usually available are built to take that kind of abuse. That does not mean that you can't buy drives and systems that will function perfectly in sub zero temperatures.

Keep us posted 

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,050 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

I think what is possible is if the drive is taken from pretty extreme cold into a warm house it can condensate, when ever I take stuff in from my truck when it is cold I wait until it does not fell cold before I fire it up.  I am pretty sure I fried a main board years back firing it off before it came to temp.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:02 PM

Agreed, any rapid temperature change with electronics can be a disaster trying to happen.

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,050 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:34 PM

Put it some place warm and dry for few days you may be able to save it.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:27 PM

arround 2003-2007 I like to put my hardrive that contain my important data on my refrigerator and it still working until now :wink:
arround 2009-2012 I usually put my hardrive on my portable freezer along with fresh fish and meat, I do that when I go to geological survey on forest and to make my hardrive have less
impact rather than i keep it on my bag :whistle:

I believe cold is good for hardrive but external case for hardrive is not good on cold temperature :P

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

I had a user who left their laptop in their car over a cold winter night.  It would not spin up when they brought it in.  After about an hour they were able to boot the machine.  So, it looked like the drive failed initially, but after coming to room temp it was fine.

If it worked before it was cold bring it in from the cold, let it warm up, give it a try.

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:45 AM

Since traditional hard drives are mechanical in nature, I have to believe that at some cold temperature it will cause metal parts to shrink enough to cause misalignment and other issues. What that temperature is, I cannot for sure, but it is likely somewhere around freezing. In nothing else, go find the specifications for your drive and see what it lists as the operating temperature. FWIW, it looks like WD lists 32 deg F (aka 0 deg C) as the bottom limit of the operating temperature and -40 deg F for non-operating temperature.

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:49 AM

It rarely falls below 20c where I live...

Not tech related, just bragging. :orange:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users