Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Optimum Installer seems to have hijacked Flash


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GumbletonB

GumbletonB

  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

For 2 weeks, every web page is greyed out by a pop up saying the flah player is out of date. It sends you to a dodgy site run by "optimum Installer" and if you do not install from the site, which you don't, then the pop up stops you connecting to any other web site at all: facebook, rtve.es and so on. I have been to the adobe flash web site and there are many com;aints about this, however attempts to contact adobe, microsoft or Mozilla have failed. How can I deal with this please?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 March 2014 - 01:04 PM.
moved from General Security to the appropriate forum


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 mixpix

mixpix

  • Members
  • 200 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Santa Cruz, California (USA)
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

I had a similar instance happen when I clicked on 'rojadirect', a streaming site for televised sports events. Not knowing, I clicked on a prompt that said my video player updating; "man I wish I didn't do that". A series of ads were popping up on all pages, on Mozilla, the browser I was using. I looked for a "key" word from the ads, but none were obvious. My next couple of steps I took, had me going into 'control panel'---->'programs & features'----> install, uninstall. Any program I saw there, I wasn't familiar with, I googled. Sure enough, on about my 3rd one I googled, it came up as a malware/adware. Of course I uninstalled it, & referred to these folks at Bleepingcomputer to chase it off. I will add, I don't think you will like this, but I think there was a trojan pup also associated? And if it was the one I had, it was extremely difficult to get off. As the malware crew here at Bleepingcomputer were aiding me, they also had me posting the logs, for a reason. One of the noticeable characteristics of this PUP, was that it was hiding in different spots, so an extreme deep scan was needed & several steps along the way. It was resolved however & the computer seems to be running as well as ever!
 

 
Good luck.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 March 2014 - 01:05 PM.
removed reference to re-post in AII after topic moved to AII

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1709
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo i5-4210U CPU  T5750 @ 1.70gHz 2.40 GHz
Ram: 8.00 GB
system type: 64bit x-64-based processor
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VNZNmcrsHQpEHgN51iurDWj


#3 GumbletonB

GumbletonB
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:46 PM

The team from Bullguard security has been helping with this and it looks as if they have fixed it now. Apparently it was a virus affecting the router. I didnt think this was possible, but there you are...things are working now properly, which is a great relief as my computer is the only way I have of keeping in touch with family






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users