Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable Update BIOS on Dell E6410

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Clarke123

Clarke123

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:15 AM

I've tried everything posted on the INTERNET and am still unable to update my E6410's BIOS from version A03 t0 the current version of A16 ... even stepping through the versions ... NONE will update...

Versions beyond A09 give me the message to update to A09 prior to any later version(s) ... doesn't work ...!

Current OS: WIN 8.1 (with all current updates)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:55 AM

Can you confirm which BIOS versions you have tried to update to, e.g. A04, A09, etc.

#3 Clarke123

Clarke123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:30 PM

Can you confirm which BIOS versions you have tried to update to, e.g. A04, A09, etc.

Thanks for even looking at this!!!

I tried A04 & A09 (Dell didn't have them, but I found elsewhere) Neither worked.

Then, I tried A10 & A16 from Dell ... got the message that they wouldn't work without A09 first.

From postings on the Internet, it appears that I'm not the only soul in this pickle jar! 

#4 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:45 PM

This is the official Dell A09 update -http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails?driverId=CK5MK.

It is worth trying it just make sure it won't work.

Edited by dls62, 23 March 2014 - 04:46 PM.

#5 Clarke123

Clarke123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:18 PM

This is the official Dell A09 update -http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails?driverId=CK5MK.

It is worth trying it just make sure it won't work.

Tried it (again) and the computer just sits there after you get the warning message to discontinue running of any other application and

to enter continue ... Nothing, NADA, ZIP, ZERO ... I even let the blasted thing sit for 30 minutes! 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:40 PM

Have you tried flashing in DOS on a Bootable USB drive?

I am not sure of Windows 8 but when I flashed a BIOS on a HP in Windows 7 I turned off UAC in an admin account and put the update file on the root of C: before doing the install.

#7 Clarke123

Clarke123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:03 AM

I'm game, but would need some help:

Flashing in DOS on a bootable USB drive is something that others have recommended as working.

HOWEVER, I (me, personally) would need very specific instructions in preparing for and executing such!

ie, I wasn't successful in crafting a USB Boot Key when I attempted to do something similiar in the past

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:56 AM

I would first like to warn you that any BIOS update has the chance to brick a computer.

I would look in BIOS to see if there is any setting that keeps it from being written to.

I found this on Dells site for your computer.

1. Please note that if the A01 BIOS is currently installed on your system you must first apply the P02 patch (E6410P02.EXE) before upgrading to this BIOS.

2. Please note that if the A08 or before A08 BIOS is currently installed on your system you must first update to A09 BIOS and then flash to the latest A-rev BIOS.

3. Please note that if the A10 or before A10 BIOS is currently installed on your system you must first update to A11 BIOS and then flash to the latest A-rev BIOS.

Flash to A09 using dls62's link before you can flash to A16.

Download Rufus. This will create a bootable USB flash drive with FreeDos.

Make sure it is your USB flash drive listed as you do not want to format your hard drive. When you run Rufus, you can select FreeDos in the dropdown box under "Create a Bootable disk using an iso". Make sure Quick Format is selected with FAT32 as the file system and a MBR partition scheme. Any data on the USB flash drive will be erased.

Boot the USB flash drive using the F12 boot menu to see if it correctly boots. If it does proceed to the next step.

Download your correct BIOS file for your model. I am using the name E6410A09.EXE for example purposes.

Copy E6410A09.EXE to the root directory of your USB flash drive.

First, make sure your battery is fully charged and plugged into the A/C adapter.

Attach the USB drive with the E6410A09.EXE file and boot the computer.

At the FreeDos prompt which should be A:\  type C: and then dir to see if you can see a list of files on your USB flash drive. If not try another letter until you can get a list of files with the DIR command.

When you have the correct Drive letter listed type:

E6410A09.EXE  <enter>

Do not interrupt the power or touch the power button. After the BIOS update you may have to reset BIOS setting to default.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 March 2014 - 11:10 AM.

#9 trag19

trag19

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 09:10 PM

Download Rufus. This will create a bootable USB flash drive with FreeDos.

Thank you for this advice.   I have three E6410s with A06 and none of them would run the software updater.  Your detailed instructions did the trick for me.  Especially thank you for pointing at Rufus.  I'd seen advice about creating a bootable DOS stick, but your help made it really easy.

If you're having trouble updating the firmware on your E6410, the instructions above do the trick.

#10 CrimsonPhoenix

CrimsonPhoenix

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:29 PM

Also, bumping this to the top to indicate that it is still relevant.  (The < A09 BIOS will not handle more than 4 GB correctly during an OS install.)  After spending an hour or two trying to get it to work without the bootable usb stick, it took just a few minutes to do it the right way.  Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 02 July 2015 - 03:13 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:50 PM

No problem. Glad the instructions worked for you. I came across Rufus awhile ago and it's helped me out quite a bit not only using it with FreeDos but using it to create bootable flash drives of Windows and linux installs. Rufus is the only software I have found that can create a bootable Sandisk USB flash drive. Some of those act like a hard drive and not a removable drive.

#12 Felix4

Felix4

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 01:58 AM

i have been using bleeping computer for years, and i never registered  but im so happy this last comment by johnc_21 made my brain activate. i have been following the instructions on this site with no luck. trying to update  the A09 bios, through windows, or usb and kept trying but the comment about  sandisk john wrote helped,

Please make sure you have a sandisk or other common usb drive brand.

i was using a patriot usb drive  brand at first  it was a 32gb. and it never appeared on the list for bootables.

maybe because it was a 32gb or the brand.

but i used a sandisk 8gb i had laying around and it worked Great. so if anyone is having an issue still. try the instructions johnc_21 posted . and im sure it will work. 

8 hours of headaches  but it worked

thanks johnC_21 and everyone at bleeping computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users