Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting Up A Internet Sharing Connection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zen00

Zen00

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:37 PM

Hello,

I recently bought a DSL connection for my computer, and now wish to share it with my second computer. I have them both set up so that you can connect to each other and share files, but for some reason the internet itself won't share.

Several things I've noticed is that...

1. My network would not work till I had disable windows firewall (XP Pro)
2. I have three network connections, one to the internet (LAC1), one to the second computer (Runs XP Pro too)(LAC3) and a third one that goes no where and when active just lists as no connection(LAC2).

My computer has two network cards, one of which connects to a hub, the other to the DSL modem. The computer I want to share internet with connects to the hub as well. When I click the LAC1 and tell it to share internet, it only will share it with LAC2, which does nothing, it dosn't seem to be able to detect LAC3.

Could anyone help me with this problem?

Edit: For some reason now, whenever I have the computer that is connected to the internet connected to the other computer, my internet connection will no longer respond, though it shows I'm still connected.

Edited by Zen00, 16 May 2006 - 09:20 PM.

This space will eventually have something very cool to fill it up, but not right now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:22 PM

internet connection sharing is messy and unreliable, seriously, if you have a dsl connection, the most effective way to share the internet by a long shot is by the purchase of even a cheap entry-level router. depending on where in the world u are, it can be very cheap. a router gives you-------
1.hardware firewall>security
2.countless options for facilitation of use, you can limit bandwidth for net hogs, deny certain domains, etc
3.makes your SOHO network more manageable, easier to use
4.file/print/net sharing
5.wireless possibilities

using ICS is not recommended to anyone unless they are using dial up, and then still, kinda wasteful.

i am sure my network peers here will agree.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:56 PM

Agreed. If you live in the States you can run down to Walmart and pickup a basic router for $40 (Linksys NR041wm). Spend more time online and less time trouble shooting your LAN.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users