Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are these programs safe to use?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 melin

melin

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:38 AM

May I know Are these programs safe to use? Love to know they are trusted by communities like this.. 

http://www.whatsrunning.net/ what is running softwarae

https://www.spywareterminator.com/Default.aspx  spyware terminatoer 

They seems to be freeware.. but doubt they are trusted or not.. Someone those using these tools kindly enlighten  me

Edited by hamluis, 23 March 2014 - 08:50 AM.
Moved from MRL to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 melin

melin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:53 AM

And my I know why there is a warning like this in this forum.. "DO NOT RUN ComboFix unless requested to."  combofix is a harmful tool? What about Rkill and roguekiller? Both of them are used by bleeping users.. are both of them harmful just like combofix? What type of harm can ComboFix cause to ?

Im average tech savvy. please  guide me accordingly.. I like to learn new stuff.. Enlighten please.. 

Edited by melin, 23 March 2014 - 08:29 AM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:37 PM

Whatsrunning is handy investigative tool...although there are others which are more current and not beta versions.
* Best Free Alternatives to Windows Task Manager
* 5 best alternatives to the Windows Task Manager

What is beta software?

After an initial round of in-house testing, software publishers often release new programs to be tested by the public. These pre-release versions are called beta software, usually denoted by a "b" in the version number, e.g., Netscape Navigator 2.0b5. Since the publisher couldn't possibly test the software under all possible conditions, it is reasonable to expect that wider use of the software may uncover problems that were not discovered during in-house testing. The publisher expects to be notified when users find such problems so that the program can be fixed before its official release.

In general, you should expect to run into bugs whenever using any piece of beta software. These bugs may range in severity from minor features that don't work to problems that cause your computer to crash. You should decide whether the benefit of new features in a beta program outweighs the risk of program instability before choosing to use a piece of beta software. You should also be aware ...you should not expect the same level of support as you would receive for an official release version of the program.

Beta version software is useful for internal demonstrations, testing and previews to select customers, but may be unstable and not yet ready for a release candidate stage. The goal of a beta program is to collect information regarding the performance, quality, stability, and functionality of new products in order to iron out the bugs before they are released to the general public as a stable final product. Beta software is not intended for inexperienced users since it may contain bugs ranging in severity from minor features not working properly to problems that may potentially damage your system. Not that I am implying you are inexperienced...just speaking generally. However, if you choose to use a beta program, you use it at your own risk.

Spyware Terminator was previously listed as a rogue product on the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products List because of concerns that the vendor (Crawler) had connections with a known adware distributor (IBIS). See the note on this historical page. Initial testing found no problems with the software but out of caution it was monitored for several months, retested and again no problems were found which would continue to justify its listing as a "rogue/supect" program.

Since then, the developers of Spyware Terminator have vastly improved their product. The program is free, easy to use, provides limited real-time protection to guard your system and offers an option for Host based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) protection. It's an option as a free alternative if you want that type of protection without having to pay.

If you already have anti-virus protection, there is no need to install the optional Clam AntiVirus integration. ClamAV does not have a real time scanning engine but you can integrate it into ST's Realtime Shield to include virus scanning support.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:46 PM

And my I know why there is a warning like this in this forum.. "DO NOT RUN ComboFix unless requested to."  combofix is a harmful tool? What about Rkill and roguekiller? Both of them are used by bleeping users.. are both of them harmful just like combofix? What type of harm can ComboFix cause to ?

Both Rkill and Roguekiller are not designed to be comprehensive malware removal tools...they are primarily designed to terminate the most common malicious processes that prevent other security tools from being executed, complete a scan or used to disinfect the system so using them is not required in all situations. When needed, they are safe to use for their intended function.

It's not so much that ComboFix is dangerous or harmful, but that it is a powerful and complex tool.

ComboFix is a specialized first responder tool for malware removal experts who assist others as it has the ability to deal with multiple malware infections and has built in removal functionality which makes it very powerful. Combofix is intended by its creator to do two things: 1) automatically remove known infections and 2) provide a detailed system report similar to DDS that a trained expert can use to further investigate and remove malicious files and registry entries. Combofix was never meant to be used as a general purpose malware scanner like SuperAntispyware or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware which scan individual drives or different folders on a computer for malware.

ComboFix is safe to use by someone trained in how to use it or when following instructions provided by a trained expert helper who is assisting them deal with a malware problem. However in untrained hands, using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

With ComboFix there is always a risk that something on a computer may be erroneously changed when running the tool or using it incorrectly. These issues are able to be quickly resolved by those trained in its usage. For those who have no training, there is a good chance they will be left with an unusable computer. Further, when issues arise due to complex malware infections, possible false detections, problems running ComboFix (i.e. stalling, hanging, crashing) or with other security tools causing conflicts, experts are usually aware of them and can advise what should or should not be done while providing individual assistance. When false detections are identified, experts have access to the developer and can report them so he can investigate, confirm and make corrections. Those attempting to use ComboFix on their own do not have such information and are at risk when running the tool in an unsupervised environment.

If you have not done so, please read ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

#5 melin

melin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

quietman7 you are awesome..Pretty informative useful answer.. This is what I was looking for.. In a nutshell seems you have given everything I need to know regarding my post...  

Grateful to you... 

Thanks once again for wonderful knowledge sharing  ..

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:16 AM

You're welcome.

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:00 PM

quietman7 you are awesome..

I'll second that. :thumbup2:

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:38 PM

"Security always begins with personal responsibility and that includes arming yourself with knowledge. You can't just depend on technology."  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users