Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSODs at startup; multiple errors from memtest86+.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 amccour

amccour

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:47 AM

I have an ASUS K45C laptop. I had to restart the system by holding down the power button to shut it off, and when I tried to start it again, I got a BSOD when Windows was loading. This happened whenever I tried to boot -- even when booting from a recovery CD.

I caught a few of the errors from the BSODs:

1. acpi.sys couldn't be loaded.

2. irql_not_less_or_equal

3. bad_pool_header

Running memtest86+ for about half an hour produced something like 800000 errors. I tried taking out the stick of RAM I had in the expansion slot, and still had a lot of errors from memtest, although I could boot into recovery mode and get to the Windows 7 login screen at this point (although it BSOD'd shortly thereafter).

Any ideas about what's going on? Is the RAM that's soldered to the motherboard broken?

Edited by hamluis, 24 March 2014 - 08:45 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:01 AM

:welcome: amccour to Bleeping Computer Community :)

Is the RAM that's soldered to the motherboard broken?

Do you refer to the slot or RAM stick? Can you remove all sticks first and see if there is a bluescreen window? Please post the history or changes before the problem started occurring.

Edited by jhayz, 23 March 2014 - 02:02 AM.

Tekken

#3 amccour

amccour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:05 AM

Do you refer to the slot or RAM stick?

Apparently there's four gigs of RAM soldered directly to the motherboard, in addition to an expansion slot. I don't have any information on system changes prior to the issue occurring -- Steam and my antivirus are the only things set to auto-update, and I haven't made any recent hardware or driver changes. 

Anyway. 

After taking the RAM stick out of the expansion slot, running check disk, and letting Windows run some startup repair thing, as I mentioned above, I was able to get to the Windows login screen before it BSOD'd again (when I moused over the shutdown button, I believe). 

After this happened and I posted, I ran memtest86+ again, and this time it didn't report any errors. I reinstalled the RAM stick, ran memtest86+ yet again, and still no errors. 

System appears to be running fine now.

Any idea what happened, here? Going from a ton of errors immediately to none in memtest makes it sound like the timing settings in the BIOS somehow got messed up.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:16 AM

There is no BIOS timing settings AFAIK for laptop RAM sticks. Could either be unsupported speed if replaced or not properly fitted, dirty contacts/slots or mixed brands and speed. 

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users