Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is shutting down by itself

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 wayne937

wayne937

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

My windows XP computer has been shutting down by itself for about two weeks now. It is intermittent in doing this. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing this. The computer is in a clean area of the house, no cats around, and not much foot traffice moving arounnd except when I come upstairs two or three times a day to use it. There shouldn't be much dust floating around as my home is only about 7 years old. I have thought about the heat issue. Any other suggestions. I also believe I am clean of virus according to my MSE. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:40 PM

Have you cleaned the computer, even in a clean environment the get pretty dirty sometimes even in a few months.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:10 PM

Hello wayne  -

Please run as scan, and try to answer a few questions -

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows XP:
 • Click Start and open My Computer

• Right-click on C: (or your main Hard Drive letter) and select Properties

• Click on the Tools tab

• Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button

• Mark the 2 box next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

• Click on the Start button

• When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer

• Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so
This will take (on average) 1 to 2 hours depending on your system, so please let it finish.
DO NOT force a reboot once started as you will lose data and may damage the computer

NOTE - If this is a Laptop please plug it into a reliable power source, as batteries may fail.
The computer will reboot to normal mode once it has completed all 5 stages -

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free (aka MBAM)
* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform Full Scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
* Copy and Paste the log back here.
Be sure to reboot the computer if required after you post the log.
To remove all "found items" you can follow the steps in this Malwarebytes illustrated blog post:
http://blog.malwarebytes.org/news/2013/09/selecting-all-pups/

Do you return to a normal Start Screen, or a Black screen with options like Safe Mode ETC.??

Is this a Regular problem, or only once or twice per week ??

Will this happen while you are working, or only while it is idle ??

Will it happen during High Volume Usage games, or randomly ??

Any other items you can recall would help us ..........

Please post a snapshot with Speccy for more system details -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<-- Full Directions Here (only post the Link generated)

Edited by noknojon, 22 March 2014 - 11:25 PM.

#4 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

1. Noknojon, yesterday I ran the error checking and a disk defrag. It took me the biggest part of the day to get this done. Error checking did not say one way or the other if it found any problems so I am assuming by that it did not find any problems. The disk was highly fragmented and it took several hours to defragment the disk. I have had my computer on since yesterday morning and it is still doing ok. It has not shut down on me. It is possible that the disk error checking and the defrag may have taken care of this situation. I will give it more time to see what happens. If it shuts down  any more I will continue with the information you have provided. I had also ran SuperAntispyware, prior to yesterday, which is advertised on this website. Superantispyware found several unwanted spyware and removed them.  After running it twice I ran MSE and MSE did not find any viruses. I appreciate the information you provided and it I get anymore shutdowns I will proceed with your instructions

1. To answer your questions in ref. to the computer turning off:
  2. It seemed to shut down while it was idle
  3. It appeared to be an interment problem, maybe once a day, or less.
  4. I am not a gamer so this could not be the problem.
  5. I just use the computer for e-mail and using IE for searching for different things.
  6. The only other thing I might mention is this: After the shutdowns started happening one morning I tried to turn the computer on. The computer came on but the monitor did not come on. I checked inside the tower and noticed that the little cooling fan on the video card had burned out. I replace the replaced the video card with a GForce Video card. After this my monitor appeared to be ok. However it did shut down one more time after I had replaced the card. This was all done prior to me doing the disk error checking and the defrag yesterday. Like I said, I will give it more time and if it shuts down any more I will proceed with the info. you have provided. Thank you for your help.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:34 PM

Hello -
If you do wish to find the results of the Disk Check, please see below.
Go - Start -> Run Box -> Type "eventvwr.msc" (no quotes) -> Press ENTER. Click on Application and select the most recent winlogon entry.

The other main scans (Malwarebytes and Speccy) would show a bit more information for us on infections and with hardware installs.

I would be interested if you could post which scan took how long (Disk Check and Defragmenting). Disk Check usually only takes up to 2 hours, but if it ran much more than that, I would be interested in you looking at the results.

#6 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:11 AM

Noknojon, I checked the event viewer and under winlogon of 3/18/14 (latest one) showed an event ID as 1001. There was not anything else listed under that event.

It was the disk defrag that took around 4 hours or so to finish. I ran it twice and it took about the same amount of time to run it the second time also. The error checking probably took about he amount of time you said it should have taken, between 1 and 2 hours, as I remember. I have had the computer on for about 2 days now and so far so good. I ran that program you mentioned speccy around a year of so ago and posted it on this website for some one else. In fact I still have it in my download folder. Do you think it may be a good idea to wait for a while and see if I get anymore shut downs before proceeding with anything else? The only thing I have replaced in this computer with the last two years is a video card. The old one went bad. The shut downs happened shortly before this card went completely out. I could not get the monitor to work until I put in the new GForce Video card. It seems to be workiing fine so far.

One more thing. A couple of times when I restarted the computer, after it had shut down by itself, it went right back into windows. There were about 2 times it went through all that stuff of checking the hard drive for errors. Thanks for the help.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

Hi wayne -

If you do post a Speccy link, please make it a current one, as this will show the contition of some internal items.

SUPERAntiSpyware usually picks up more minor Tracking Cookies, so I mainly use MBAM at the moment.

Run Defrag every month or so, and it should only take a while to finish.

This is like your Antivirus should be active, and a deeper scan about once every day.

Error ID 1001 is a fairly generic number, so there is no real clues there.

Your choice to just watch it for a week or so, and I will keep an eye from my side.

#8 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:40 AM

Noknojon, it has been nearly a week now and my computer shut down by itself some time through the night last night. Here is a copy of Speccy that you requested I do:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/nfH4b5cCE6OtlxVXumx0nhj

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:02 AM

Your installed ram is marginal for anything above light computing, also running two AV programs at once often causes problems.

#10 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:29 AM

1. Old Phil, when I checked some of the results of Speccy I also noticed where it said I was running two antiviruses, AVG and MSE. I had uninstalled AVG before I installed MSE. Avg was not listed in the add/remove programs list. Strange huh? I did a search of AVG and I installed everything that I could find that had AVG attached to it. Now when I do a search it does not find anything else with AVG so I think I got rid of all the garbage it left behind. Apparently the uninstall did not do a very good jog of uninstalling things. I will never install AVG again on any of my computers. I appreciate you looking into this for me. Thank you. I will see if I get anymore post before doing anything else. Noknojon will most likely want to see the Speccy report also.

#11 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:37 AM

Old Phil, I forgot to tell you, I am not a gamer. I just use the computer for light things, like e-mail and searching the web, or typing in Word once in a while. I would think the memory I have installed would be good enough for that. Thanks anyway. 

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:48 AM

You can root out the AV junk in the registry using AVG as the key word in the search function.

#13 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:56 AM

Old Phil, apparently Speccy read my memory size wrong. I have 1.5 GB of ram. I think this is plenty for me. The computer may have came out with that amount of memory but I added more late on that Speccy failed to read.

#14 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:15 PM

Old Phil, I went in the registry and I think I got rid of most of everything with AVG. When I did the last search it highlighed a name file, NCS_CORE in the right side of the registry under name. There was not a thing here to indicate what kind of file it was so I left it alone since I had no idea what this one was.

#15 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:45 PM

If in case any AVG uninstallation was not successful, use the AVG Remover tool:
1. Save all your work and close all documents! Your computer will be restarted during the procedure.
2. Download the AVG Remover tool from This Link
3. Run the downloaded tool and follow the instructions displayed on your screen.
4. Your computer will be restarted automatically. After the restart, AVG Remover will finish the uninstallation.

Always better to use the Removal Tool if you can find one.

There is also one listed in the Antivirus area of this forum.

RAM - 2.00GB Current reading, which should be enough for any "standard" XP.

"Run Defrag every month or so, and it should only take a while to finish." I said earlier.

Also go to Accessories > System Tools to find Disk Cleanup and run this. I do it with Defrag, and it will take quite a while unless done often.

Normally we post to install TFC cleaner, but I use the (not recently) revised version of ATF cleaner from Atribune.

I will post the link later, since it is only on my XP, and I am on my Windows 7 now.

The basic solution still eludes me, even though we seem to have a higher than usual number of your basic problem this month.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users