Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes Every 20/30mins

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 i-hate-winfixer

i-hate-winfixer

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:00 PM

ok i will try and explain all the things that are happening.

i turn on the laptop and after 20/30mins the mouse will freeze, ctrl alt dlt doesn't work the only option is to power down with the power button. i notice that it is running pretty hot, especially considering if i'm only on the internet. So i power down and power up again but its just a black screen, so i have to power down a second time before it will boot to windows, this happens EVERY time.

i have checked for spywear the best i can with the 2 programs u recomend(spybot, adwear) but i tryed to follow all the other steps but my comp keeps freezing before i can complete any of the scans!

what could cause my comp to be running so hot while only on the net? both fans are working.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:45 PM

Both fans are working. Are they blocked? Are you getting good air flow?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 i-hate-winfixer

i-hate-winfixer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:49 PM

Both fans are working. Are they blocked? Are you getting good air flow?

ok i elevated my computer after the first post and it hasn't froze so i'm guna put it back down on a clear desk and see how it gos.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:18 PM

Have you opened your case, and cleaned out the inside, lately?
If not, here's a tutorial that'll help.
Cleaning the Interior of your PC

Edit: Sorry about that i-hate-winfixer.
When I read your post, I failed to notice it was a laptop, so that link doesn't really help you out, any.

Edited by tg1911, 16 May 2006 - 11:12 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:24 PM

If you determine heat is your problem try he following.

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556060260.html

#6 i-hate-winfixer

i-hate-winfixer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:37 PM

thanks guys if the problem doesn't come back soon i will be off to buy a cooler mat!

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:46 PM

We will be here. Good luck.

#8 i-hate-winfixer

i-hate-winfixer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 05:48 AM

the problems not heat :thumbsup:

first of all it ran perfectly for 6 hours and then the next night i tryed to watch a dvd and it crashed in 10 mins, it was only warm not like the other times.

any ideas?

Edited by i-hate-winfixer, 19 May 2006 - 05:49 AM.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:21 AM

Download new drivers into a folder (but do not istall them yet). Then uninstall your current video drivers and card. Restart your computer and let XP detect your card. When prompted select the which driver to use instead of allowing XP to choose for you. Point to the folder where you downloaded and extracted (unzip if need be, before starting the reinstall) the driver files. This will ensure XP does not reinstall the original driver files.
You also may have a bad video card but lets try upgrading the drivers first.

#10 i-hate-winfixer

i-hate-winfixer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:41 AM

Download new drivers into a folder (but do not istall them yet). Then uninstall your current video drivers and card. Restart your computer and let XP detect your card. When prompted select the which driver to use instead of allowing XP to choose for you. Point to the folder where you downloaded and extracted (unzip if need be, before starting the reinstall) the driver files. This will ensure XP does not reinstall the original driver files.
You also may have a bad video card but lets try upgrading the drivers first.

last night i had 2 IE windows open i clicked a link in one and swopped it for the other, as i was scrolling down my comp froze and at the same time switched back to the other window where i found a a nice message...

Errorsafe bla de bla de blaaa....

really think it could be my video card? what could make it go tits up after a year of being fine?

also some1 please have a look at my hijack log pretty plzzzz

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/52840/computer-keeps-freezing/

Edited by i-hate-winfixer, 22 May 2006 - 09:44 AM.

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:40 PM

Due to the fact that the original poster has an open HijackThis Log, I am closing this thread. It would be unwise to give advice while the member is trying to work a log. Any changes the member made would nullify the log posted. Once the log has been deemed clean, if the original poster wants this topic reopened he or she can PM a moderator to reopen it. Thank You for your understanding.

Be (One thing at a time) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users