Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU and Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 biferi

biferi

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:14 PM

I am Looking up about this Motherboard that supported the Pentium 3 CPU and FSB of 133MHz.

But what was the Back/Side speed on this type of Board?

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Gigabytes-GA6OXM7E-i815-Socket-370-Motherboard-Review/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:03 AM

You know this stuff is ancient now!  I'm not sure what you mean by back/side speed, can you clarify?  Here is the topology of a system that uses a Front Side Bus.

300px-Motherboard_diagram.svg.png

The processor runs on a multiplier of the FSB.  For example, a Pentium 3 1Ghz processor on a 133mhz FSB, will have a multiplier of 7.  7 x 133mhz = 999mhz.

Edited by jonuk76, 23 March 2014 - 08:11 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

That was a great board back in the day!  Things have advanced dramatically since, if you are looking for any kind of decent performance it will be disappointing.  Doubtful any of the late OS's will run right on it, that limits you to XP which is being phased out support wise.  Caveat if all you do is  very light games, surfing the net and general tasks it may meet your requirements.

Edited by OldPhil, 23 March 2014 - 10:28 AM.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#4 biferi

biferi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:27 PM

Yes I know its old I am just making a chart.

And in the Link I gave the Pentiume 3 ran a 133MHz FSB.

All the IDE and PCI slots connected to the Southbridge. Is this speed called the Backeids Bus?

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

The PCI bus runs at 33 mhz.  The IDE controllers are on the PCI bus, as would be USB controllers, onboard audio or onboard ethernet.  Older chip sets linked the speed of the PCI bus to the FSB (they used a divisor, for example, when the FSB was set to 133mhz, the PCI bus would run at 1/4 of the FSB). The downside of this is that if you tried overclocking the FSB, the computer would become unstable quite easily as the PCI bus (and any devices on it) were also overclocked.

Other chip sets were able to lock the speed of the PCI bus at the correct speed, independent of the FSB.  The FSB could then be changed without affecting the stability of attached devices.

I'm afraid I don't know off the top of my head which category the i815 chipset fell into.  I have a hunch it allowed you to lock the PCI bus to the proper speed, but can't say for certain.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 biferi

biferi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

If the PCi BUS ran at 1/4 the speed of the FSB.

Then whatever you would overclock the FSB to am I right the PCi BUS would still run at 1/4 or whatever you set the FSB to?

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

As I said that was the case with some chipsets, but not all.  I don't know if it was the case with the i815 chipset.  I used to have a motherboard based on a VIA KT266 which was like that.  If I set the FSB to 133mhz, if I attempted to overclock the maximum it would go to was 137mhz, every time.  Above this, the USB controller crashed.  Thus it was pretty useless for overclocking.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 biferi

biferi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:11 PM

Well here is a link to an Old Pentiume 3 Motherboard.

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Gigabytes-GA6OXM7E-i815-Socket-370-Motherboard-Review/

And it uses SDRAM so the CPU can Sync up with the System Memory.

They say the Pentiume 3 could run at 133MHz.

So am I right the CPU would send Data to Memory at 66.5MHz and then get Data back from Memory at 66.5MHz and this is whare they get 133MHz?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users