Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Fan not working?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 MaxSerious

MaxSerious

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:31 PM

Not sure if this is the right section... but here I go.

I have a HP Pavilion dv6 laptop, and it gets overheated very quickly, so I pulled out my good old USB Fan that has been stored away in my closet for a long time. 

It's not a fan that relies on batteries or anything like that... but it's not working.

I'm supposed to plug in the USB thing to the laptop, and the blue light is supposed to shine under the fan wheels and the fans are supposed to spin rapidly. However, when I plugged it in, nothing happened.

Here's a picture of the fan:

2sacvsy.jpg

Also, here's the labeling on one of the wheels... not sure if it's necessary info, but in case it is:

1zy9fsp.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gettingthere

gettingthere

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:00 PM

have you tried all the USB ports? try it on another computer to see if it works, could be just a loose connection, something you can't even see,,,,,,,,,,,,,gettingthere

#3 MaxSerious

MaxSerious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:44 PM

We don't have any other laptops in the house that's working, so I can't test it. 

However, I've seen the fan lying around in my dad's room... didn't see it in action but it was there. He had to fly over to New Zealand for a business related thing for a week... and he took his laptop with him ofc. He should be able to get the calls tomorrow, so I'll ask him about it tomorrow and let you know.

If he says it works in his laptop, any way I can get it to work on mine?

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:55 AM

How about some other form of powered USB port?  An iPhone wall charger for example. It should power the fan.

Really the fan being broken is your best outcome. The worst is there's damage to the laptop USB ports.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 MaxSerious

MaxSerious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

How about some other form of powered USB port?  An iPhone wall charger for example. It should power the fan.

Really the fan being broken is your best outcome. The worst is there's damage to the laptop USB ports.

Doesn't work when I plugged it in the ipod wall charger I have.

My laptop USB ports are definitely not damaged because everything else works (mouse, ipod charger, etc).

Then it must be my fan just not working... should've guessed it. It's very old anyways.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,228 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:21 PM

5 volts is not much just a smidgin of dirt on the connector would kill it, try repeated insertions to try to clean up the slot.  Like you say it has been laying for a long time, they are made quite cheaply doubtful of the plugs material they could be corroded. 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

I would recommend dusting out the laptop with canned air by blowing through the intake and exhaust. I have had mixed luck with usb fans. The reason is: if the heat sync is clogged with dust, no air will move through even with a usb fan so the added air does little or nothing. If the dv6 has a fan problem, I recommend replacing the fan. DV series had problems with heat, I suggest dusting it out or reparing (if it has a fan problem) as soon as possible. Canned air is cheap usually less than $5.00 I dust out my laptops about every 2 months, dusty environments are a computers enemy.

Edited by zingo156, 24 March 2014 - 02:51 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#8 MaxSerious

MaxSerious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

I would recommend dusting out the laptop with canned air by blowing through the intake and exhaust. I have had mixed luck with usb fans. The reason is: if the heat sync is clogged with dust, no air will move through even with a usb fan so the added air does little or nothing. If the dv6 has a fan problem, I recommend replacing the fan. DV series had problems with heat, I suggest dusting it out or reparing (if it has a fan problem) as soon as possible. Canned air is cheap usually less than $5.00 I dust out my laptops about every 2 months, dusty environments are a computers enemy.

Truth is, the only reason I'm trying to get this usb fan to work is because my laptop gets overheated very quickly, and tends to make a loud fan noise. 

Not sure if canned air will fix this, but I could try. Thing is, I don't see much dust covered in the holes on the sides of my laptop.. maybe I could go to Best Buy or something to just replace my fan completely? 

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:42 AM

Best Buy would charge you a lot to replace the fan. If the fan is loud it is likely because it is spinning quickly. The dust is likely inside stuck in the heat sync. See this video:

That is where dust and debris gets stuck and what happens is that no air can go through the heat sync, the heat sync needs air to move passed it to remove heat from the computer. The fan is spinning but getting nothing done with dust blocking the way. If you use canned air sometimes it is enough to blow that out. A USB fan will do little or nothing to help this situation. If you have an air compressor with a nozzle, you can use that to blow the dust out as well. Just use no more than 40psi or you may overspeed/break the fan inside. Canned air is the safest bet if you do not have much experience using an air compressor.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#10 MaxSerious

MaxSerious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:22 PM

Best Buy would charge you a lot to replace the fan. If the fan is loud it is likely because it is spinning quickly. The dust is likely inside stuck in the heat sync. See this video:

That is where dust and debris gets stuck and what happens is that no air can go through the heat sync, the heat sync needs air to move passed it to remove heat from the computer. The fan is spinning but getting nothing done with dust blocking the way. If you use canned air sometimes it is enough to blow that out. A USB fan will do little or nothing to help this situation. If you have an air compressor with a nozzle, you can use that to blow the dust out as well. Just use no more than 40psi or you may overspeed/break the fan inside. Canned air is the safest bet if you do not have much experience using an air compressor.

Since I don't have much time to pry open my laptop during this week, I will try it on Sunday since that's the only day I have a lot of time in my hands. 

Thanks so much for the help zingo! 

Also, would it be possible for you to provide me another video or written steps on how to get to that fan inside the laptop? I'm not good with computers ha.

Keep this thread open until Sunday... I will bump if i have to.

#11 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:44 AM

hope this was same with your laptop :wink:

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:20 AM

You don't actually have to take the computer apart to clean it, this was an example of where the dust hides. I recommend trying canned air first or an air compressor to blow the dust out. Taking apart a computer is risky if you do not have experience, in this situation it is not always needed.

If after you dust it out the computer is still running hot, the next step would be to take it apart. Again: if you do not have experience taking computers apart, I would recommend you bring it in somewhere. Or if you search youtube by the make and model and disassembly, you might find a walkthrough video for your exact model computer. If you chose to take it apart, go slow, do not pry to hard if something won't open, double check for screws, TAKE EVERYTHING out of the computer, dvd drive, hard drive, etc, sometimes screws are hiding under this hardware.

#13 MaxSerious

MaxSerious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:27 PM

hope this was same with your laptop :wink:

Seems very risky since I have no experience in this... but thanks!

#14 MaxSerious

MaxSerious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:29 PM

You don't actually have to take the computer apart to clean it, this was an example of where the dust hides. I recommend trying canned air first or an air compressor to blow the dust out. Taking apart a computer is risky if you do not have experience, in this situation it is not always needed.

If after you dust it out the computer is still running hot, the next step would be to take it apart. Again: if you do not have experience taking computers apart, I would recommend you bring it in somewhere. Or if you search youtube by the make and model and disassembly, you might find a walkthrough video for your exact model computer. If you chose to take it apart, go slow, do not pry to hard if something won't open, double check for screws, TAKE EVERYTHING out of the computer, dvd drive, hard drive, etc, sometimes screws are hiding under this hardware.

I will try canned air. If not, I will need to wait until my dad comes back from his trip and do it with him for support.

#15 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

You might also check to see if you have the latest BIOS.  I don't know how old your machine is, but I have a bunch of machines that had possible fan issues that were fixed by a BIOS update.

The blanked on the heat pipe the zingo156 posted is something I've seen a few times and a can of air isn't going to fix it.  Depending on the model you may be able to access this area by removing the keyboard.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users