Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Reinstalling Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:11 PM

Hi.  I bought a larger hard drive for my Dell Inspiron 1200 laptop.  I ordered two install discs directly from Dell.  The first CD is labeled "Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2".  It installs just fine.

The second CD is labelled "Device Drivers" and "Diagnostics and Utilities".  I have tried to install this CD, but the laptop will not see the CD player.  I also tried a music CD in the CD player and got an error message.  I also cannot get on the Internet.

How do I install this CD?  I'm certain my machine is missing necessary drivers.  I have researched a lot on the Internet today from another laptop and cannot find an answer. 

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

EducatedGuess

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:18 PM

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager next to any devices?

#3 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

Yes, John, it is a yellow color that is a combined question mark and exclamation point.  This appears under "Other Devices" on all the following: Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, PCI Device, PCI Modem, Video Controller, and Video Controller (VGA Compatible).

However, there are no other yellow markings on any of the other devices.  I found a Dell driver download site, but I cannot get the unit to my Linksys router, either wirelessly or through an Ethernet cable.

Thanks so much for your time and expertise.

Scott

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:36 PM

Can you download files from one computer and transfer them to another computer via USB flash drive?

Right click your Ethernet device and select properties, Under the details tab select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box and post the results.

original.jpg

#5 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:49 PM

I found the location and followed your instructions.  I highlighted the first line and nothing happened when I hit CTRL + C.

Yes, I have a flash drive that will hold about 10 GBs.

Scott

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:53 PM

You have to paste the results to a text file using Ctrl+V. Then copy it to a USB flash drive and post the results.

Edit: I am going to try and get the latest Ethernet Driver for this computer. If you wish, you can copy all the drivers from the Dell CD to your USB drive using your good computer and then install them on the computer in need of the drivers or we can try getting the latest drivers for everything else. It is up to you.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 March 2014 - 08:00 PM.

#7 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

Sorry, I'm a bit of a novice.  Are you saying to copy the four lines of text under Hardware Ids and then post them in here for you?

If so, yes, I can do that.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

Yes, but just the first line is fine. See my previous edited post. I was going to find the latest Ethernet driver but you can copy the drivers from the Dell CD to your USB and then install them on the computer with the driver problem.

#9 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:10 PM

Thanks, John, yes, I realized that.  I don't have a huge US drive but I'm going to transfer all the files onto an external HD, then transfer and install from there.  Thanks again for your help.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

Scott

#10 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

Hi, John, we had spoken over the weekend.  I was able to transfer all the drivers and utilities to an external HD, then installed what I could onto the other unit.  I still have a CD player that will not recognize any media, plus I cannot access the Internet.

Below is the first line of Ethernet Controller under Details and Hardware Ids:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1068&SUBSYS_01A41028&REV_03

Appreciate any insight you have into this.

Thanks,

Scott

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

I think the CD issue is not driver related but will look at that after the Ethernet driver is installed.

Install this one. PRO2K3XP_32.exe

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:12 PM

What you are seeing is common I have seen it several times, run the disk from the run box or explorer it runs in the OS not not from boot should work just fine.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#13 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:38 PM

Thanks so much for your input, folks.  Problem solved!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users