Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Not Using All Resources

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 dyllandry

dyllandry

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:58 PM

I was hesitant as to where to post my question, as it has to do with both gaming and my hardware, though I figured here would be the best place.

I recently bought 'Titanfall', (a new computer game). I assumed my computer was good enough to run it as I was way, way past the minimum requirements.

Minimum Requirements for 'Titanfall':

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 2.8GHz or Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
Memory: 4GB RAM
GPU: 512MB VRAM, Radeon HD 4770 or GeForce 8800GT

My System Specifications: 
CPU: Intel i7-4800MQ CPU @ 2.70Ghz
Memory: 8GB RAM
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M, (Out of all of their cards it is ranked fifth)

As far as I know my cpu blows their intel duo out of the water, this is just gauging from their different price points. When I looked at the Cpu analysis through the task manager while Titanfall was running it only showed activity on maybe three of them, and the others were all almost completely dormant, to put it in simpleton manner that I understand it by. The three that were being used only ever showed 30-40% usage. My graphics card is the fifth best card Nvidia offers if I look at the Nvidia website. I would imagine that it could run the game fine. In terms of memory I have twice the minimum amount, and when I look through the task manager it only ever uses about 4.1 - 4.3 gigs of it. 

So far you may be asking, 'Well, what exactly is the issue here? Everything looks fine, he should be able to run the game fine.'

Problem is.... I don't... I can barely run it smoothly on lowest settings...
30% of the time the game operates fine. 60 FPS as far as I can see, but some input lag sadly.  The other 70% of the time the frame rate drops down to maybe 20 FPS, and the input lag increases to about almost a full second's worth. During the time I bought all the parts for my computer it costed me around $1300. I would find it unbelievable that a company would release a game that people would need a system costing over $1300 just to run, and still expected people to buy it. That said, I think something is going on in my computer that is limiting it's performance drastically. It might be due to the fact that my nvidia card uses Optimus and that I have to select which card to use, (Internal GPU or the 770M),  i have fiddled with the Nvidia control panel settings set that it should only use the 770M for Titanfall, but in actuality, I dont understand half the stuff in that control panel. I just have a feeling my computer is for some reason not using all of it's resources and is somehow bottle-necking itself when I run the game.

If you could help me with my issue, I would be more than grateful. If you cannot, that is ok, and I appreciate the time you spent to read this. If there is a better place to post this issue then please tell me!
-- Thank you ^-^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:14 PM

try this.... easier for you to watch a vid than me try to explain.

#3 dyllandry

dyllandry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

Is it safe for me to select to use all 8 processors? And what does it actually mean that I changed the number of processors to 8 in my BOOT Advanced Options?

Thank you for the video!

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:21 PM

yes it is perfectly safe to use all processors, i7 chip is designed like this.

Overclocking on the other hand should generally be avoided unless you have better computer understanding.

What it means is your BIOS/BOOT did not correctly identify that you have those resources to use, and you manually selected that you do have them.

edit: you will have to restart to enable the processors. :thumbup2:

Edited by TsVk!, 22 March 2014 - 06:24 PM.

#5 dyllandry

dyllandry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:34 PM

Hmmm.. I tried what you told me to do, and before even restarting the performance was increased dramatically. I changed both the processors and the ram, maybe one of them didn't require a restart? I am going to restart now and see how the game performs afterwords. Seeing how it worked before I even restarted makes me kinda worry, but nonetheless it is already working much better, so I want to say thank you! :D . It's funny, this game has been giving me a lot of issues since I bought it. First their was bad screen tearing and V-sync wouldn't work so I had to find a fix for that. Then for some reason my mouse sensitivity was being linked to my frame rate so I had to use MSI afterburner to limit my frame rate to I think 63 fps, and that fixed that. Now I am finally getting this next issue, which is hopefully the last, to also be fixed thanks to you. Thank you so much :] !

#6 dyllandry

dyllandry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:51 PM

Well... My computer isn't turning on.. It blue screens, restarts, tries to run startup repair, tells me to remove any recently attached devices if there are any, and tells me if the issue persists to contact the manufacturer.
Edit: Please help soon :(

Edited by dyllandry, 22 March 2014 - 06:52 PM.

#7 dyllandry

dyllandry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:58 PM

I went to the more advanced options where it lets you do the startup repair, system restore and whatnot. I can restore to 3/19/2014, which would be fine. I only patches a game since then.
... Though id rather not repair because we just got Titanfall to run smoothly for the first time since I got it :[ .

Edited by dyllandry, 22 March 2014 - 06:59 PM.

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:01 PM

Don't worry, we can undo what has been done, your system is not hosed... Let's try get the config right though.

Just give me a moment to write out the next step.

tip, tap typing like mad....

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:07 PM

Before we go on with that other idea...

try tapping f8 constantly on boot till you get the boot options, then select "Last known good"

should boot normally.. Create a restore point.

This time, when you alter MS config do not mess with the RAM settings, these should be fine as your system sees them.

Ok?

#10 dyllandry

dyllandry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:13 PM

I hit enter on, 'last known good configuration', and it still blue screens at the 'starting windows' screen. I could restore to the 19th as I really am losing remotely nothing' and this time just not edit the ram but just the processor selection to 8.
Edit: Second time around and it is stuck loading at the 'starting windows' screen. Then blue screened.

Edited by dyllandry, 22 March 2014 - 07:15 PM.

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:16 PM

it's stuck on the Windows intro screen?

If so do the system restore again, but this time update your motherboard drivers... go to your motherboard manufacturer site and then check for updates, install, restart, create restore point...

then try the change again.

if it still fails you may have to check the PCI lock, to force Windows to use your mobo I/O settings...

Edited by TsVk!, 22 March 2014 - 07:23 PM.

#12 dyllandry

dyllandry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

The second time I tried to load 'last known good configuration' it was stuck loading on the 'starting windows' screen (the one with the windows logo) for maybe 3 minutes when usually the system takes 30 seconds to turn on and bring me to the login screen.

Edited by dyllandry, 22 March 2014 - 07:20 PM.

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

update mobo drivers, restart... create restore point.

Better now?

#14 dyllandry

dyllandry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

Okay. I will restore the system, update my motherboard drivers once I find the manufacturer, then I will create a restore point and finally change the processors number to 8 but leave the memory alone. After that I will restart and post the results. I can't thank you enough!

#15 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:30 PM

one other thing....

what mobo is it? make and model please...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users