Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DRAM makers ordered to pay up in price fixing case, submit your claim

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

Happy days are here again!!

In the sue-happy United States, 12 dram manufacturers have been found guilty of conspiring to fix prices of dram between 1998 and 2002. Together they have been ordered to pay $310,720,000 in compensation to their defrauded customers.

You qualify for money if you bought DRAM or products containing DRAM (computers, printers, video game consoles or other electronic devices) between 1998 and 2002. No documentation is required to file a claim.
The minimum recovery is $10, while larger purchasers could receive a $1,000 or more.

http://dramclaims.com/

Defendants have paid approximately $310 million into the Settlement Fund. After deducting payments to governmental entities, attorneys’ fees, costs, awards to class representatives, and other court-approved payments, it is anticipated that approximately $200 million will be available for pro rata distribution to claimants that submit valid claims.

So in the end, as with all class actions, the lawyers make out like bandits to the tune of $110,000,000. Class action lawsuits are not about the people who were done wrong, they are about the lawyers making money.

So sign up our American friends and get in on the gravy train, while the rest of us get to pay for this nonsense through higher costs for ram in the coming years.

All: God save your majesty!
Cade: I thank you, good people—there shall be no money; all shall eat and drink on my score, and I will apparel them all in one livery, that they may agree like brothers, and worship me their lord.
Dick: The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.
Cade: Nay, that I mean to do.

Henry The Sixth, Part 2 Act 4, scene 2, 71–78 - William Shakespeare

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:44 PM

Actually...info about this is something I believe was sent to individual purchasers of DRAM for the last 2 years or so.  I know that I have received such and I'm not a volume/bulk/business purchaser of RAM.

In the scheme of the money I've spent on RAM...I didn't think it worth my time :).  I'd save/acquire more money if I could cut my cigarette usage or beer consumption down to a reasonable level, IMO.

Related article, http://www.pcworld.com/article/199804/article.html .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 March 2014 - 06:48 PM.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:52 PM

That's exactly my point. The only winners here are the lawyers. The U.S. consumers lose here with a picayune settlement and worse yet, consumers worldwide will be paying for this settlement through higher ram prices because the corporations responsible here won't be eating these damages but passing them on.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users