Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista won't open, no matter what I try

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lovecatsanddogs

lovecatsanddogs

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:31 PM

I know just a tiny bit about computers  because of  trial and error through the years. When my son's computer was intermittently freezing I said I would look at it.  He has a Dell XPS M5130 laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.  He also said it was running a disk check each time he turned it on.  It did that for me when I turned it on. The first thing I did was check his Windows Updates.  There was only one there :  SP2.  I clicked to install it while we watched a movie, and when I looked in on it a while later, it was the BSoD.

Now Windows won't open at all.  Goes straight to BSoD.  I've tried every Safe Mode option.  They all freeze while loading files as soon as they get as far as crcdisk.sys.

No System Restore points work.  They all say a file is corrupted or unreadable and give this number:  0x80070570.

I've tried the F12 Diagnostics.  It ran for a while, then began looping during one of the memory checks.

Start Up Repair first said it could not repair the problems automatically.  I can give all the Problem Signatures if that will  help.

Today, after another stab at Start Up  repair, it said it could not find any problems. (!)

I think that is everything I've tried.

I do have the reinstallation DVD, but my son says there is some unsaved info he'd like to keep if there is any way possible.

I'd love to hear any other ideas about how to get to his unsaved data before I just start fresh with the reinstallation DVD.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:06 AM

Hi and :welcome: to BC community :)

To save your most important files without using windows, try using Puppy Linux bootable disc. Let us know if all went fine to proceed with the next step. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#3 lovecatsanddogs

lovecatsanddogs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:10 PM

"thank you for your suggestion.  I have limited time to work on this, thus my late reply. Following the directions from your suggested link,  I was able to download Linux Puppy onto a CD, and upload it onto my sons computer.  He mainly wants to save his pictures and videos.  Since his pictures alone are 13GB, I decided to use the WD My Book Essentials my husband bought a while ago, but which we've never used.  This is where I get stuck.

I get to the part of the directions that say: "To copy just one folder to your flash drive or external hard disk, right-click on the folder, select Dir '<folder name>' and then click Copy ...  (I can do all of this ... but then it says:) "Type the path to your USB flash drive or external hard disk (see the icons on Desktop)"  and I'm completely lost.  Type WHERE?  I see the icons on the desktop, but even if I right- or left-click on them, I'm only getting a Pmount window, not a hard disk window.  Another set of directions told me to "drag and drop" the folder from one place to the next, but when I try that, they don't drop -- they just zoom back to their original position.   I spent two hours today looking at Puppy Linux websites and WD websites trying to figure out how to do this part of the recovery plan, but couldn't find anything. 

I hope this makes sense to someone and this part can be explained in "newbie" terms. 

thanks!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:41 PM

Puppy works a little differently. You can open the file manager by clicking the hard drive in the lower left of the desktop. Some versions you only have to click once, others twice, then the drive will be mounted. If it does not mount, you can right click the drive icon and select mount. Attach the USB to the computer and Puppy should put an icon in the lower left. Double or Single Click depending on your version of Puppy. Another file manager should open showing your USB flash drive contents. Now select objects on your hard drive by pressing CTRL and left clicking each item you want copied. Or to select everything CTRL+A.

Now Drag the contents you highlighted on your hard drive and drag with the left mouse button to the file manager window of the USB flash drive. A dialog will pop up asking if you want to copy or move. Select Copy.

Here is a good tutorial showing the process. You do not have to do the disk check as explained in the article.

#5 lovecatsanddogs

lovecatsanddogs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

Thank you so much for the instructions and tutorial.  I right-clicked the cd-looking icon which represents my external hard drive and chose "look inside".  A small window with Appinfo.xm and AppRun icons showed up.  I figured that was the place to copy files.  I followed your directions, hit "Copy" and after a bit, it  finished, and said Done.  However -- after "Done" it says "there were 172 errors" (?).  Also,  a new window popped up saying  "Error saving pinboard/root/choices/ROX-filer/PuppyPin: No space left on device.  This totally confuses me because there were only 13G of Pictures I was trying to copy and 500G of free space on the external hard drive.  Any thoughts on what is going on here?

Edited by lovecatsanddogs, 29 March 2014 - 12:37 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:44 PM

If your external drive is USB, you should see a USB icon on the desktop when it is attached. Did you boot puppy from a CD?

#7 lovecatsanddogs

lovecatsanddogs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:35 PM

Oh my gosh, I feel really foolish ... but I see where my confusion came from.  There is 1 CD icon which is for the puppy download CD, and a 2nd CD icon which says: "Description:  WD Virtual CD 1110"  when I hover  my mouse over it.  I'm using a WD external drive, so I thought that was the correct icon.  I was a bit confused because the size was incorrect (it says 668MB and my external drive is 500G).  There IS a usb icon, and when the mouse is over it, the description is : "Filysystem: ntfs Size 465.1 GB".

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

Your WD must have some virtual software attached to it but I cannot understand how Puppy saw it. I would click on the USB icon. That would be your external hard drive. A 500GB drive is actually 465GB. Were you able to transfer the data?

Your internal drive should show as sda1 in the lower left of the Puppy desktop.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 March 2014 - 03:42 PM.

#9 lovecatsanddogs

lovecatsanddogs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:57 PM

I apologize for making this into such an agonizingly long process.  I forgot to mention one thing that happened the first time I followed your directions.  I was part-way through copying the entire "users" file when I remembered reading somewhere that you should not do that if perhaps a virus or malware started all your problems to begin with (so you should carefully choose safe items to copy).  After cancelling, the mount window won't stay open again to mount my external drive.  (I forgot about all of that the next day when I tried to copy Pictures onto the wrong CD icon and forgot again today when I tried to copy onto the USB icon.  I know, I know  - I'm a Linux Moron).  

The Mount window stays open for a milli-second and I can read "Please wait ... probing hardware" before it disappears.  Can I do a System Restore on this to go back in time and begin again? 

Edited by lovecatsanddogs, 30 March 2014 - 07:11 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:22 PM

There is no system restore in linux. As long as you just copied and did nothing else, you should be okay. If you are on Puppy now, I would right click the USB drive and select unmount. I would right click your hard drive and select unmount also. Then I would detach your external drive and reboot the computer with Puppy. After you are at the Puppy desktop, click once on the hard drive in the lower left of the desktop. It should mount automatically. Attach the USB external drive and when the icon appears, click once and it should mount.

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

After you boot puppy look in the bottom right hand corner and find the drive called sda that is the Hard Drive click it to open it.

Now plug in your USB in the bottom right hand corner you will see a drive called sdb thats the usb you just plugged in. Click it to open it.

Now you have 2 windows open the target drive sda (or C drive ) and the destination drive sdb ( or the usb stick)

On sda( C Drive) select the files you want and drag and drop them onto the destination ( sdb) and select copy.

If you want to burn to dvd.

Insert a DVD into dvd burner.

go to menu/multimedia/pburn and launch it.

In the left window of Pburn select the files you want and hit the add button when done select the burn button.

Here is a short video i made for you.

Please note as I only have linux I couldnt show you how to find the files in windows I used the linux example but it will work the same.

View My Video

PS.

Please note once puppy is booted from CD/DVD you can remove the CD/DVD to use the burner as puppy runs in ram.

Edited by NickAu1, 30 March 2014 - 08:27 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#12 lovecatsanddogs

lovecatsanddogs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:39 PM

It worked!!!!  :bounce:  Thank you all so, so, sooo much!!  You've been unbelievably patient. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users