Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File in travel drive that won't delete

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 godzilla1347

godzilla1347

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

I am looking to add space to a 4GB travel drive and noticed one folder on it that won't delete (I should have titled the thread starter "Folder in Travel Drive that Won't Delete" but I can't edit the header). When opening it up, I get an error message that the file is unreadable. OK, I don't want it anyway but because it's unreadable, I can't delete it and that's frustrating! It is a photo file and takes up 90% of the travel drive. I can delete other files that aren't corrupted on that travel drive, so it's that folder that's at fault.

If that file can't be read, is there another way of getting rid of it? I assume I can do so from regedit but would want to make sure I'm doing that correctly.

Edited by godzilla1347, 22 March 2014 - 02:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:53 PM

Hi,

Try running chkdsk on that drive maybe it can detect the problem and fix it.

If you are running Windows Vista or above you need to open the Command prompt as Administrator (tutorial) then type the command:

chkdsk /f /x Z:

Note: Replace Z: with the drive letter corresponding to the travel drive.

After the disk check try to delete the file if not removed.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:40 PM

Thanks, it worked. I'm using XP but ran the diologue you had provided" chkdsk /f/ x/ H: (for the drive) and the corrupted folder was located. I was then asked if I wanted to convert it to a file and said yes (because I didn't want that folder anyway) and it was converted to a file  FOUND.OOO, which I was then able to delete and remove from the travel drive. That restored 90% of the drive.

Curious what the /f and the /x do?

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:45 PM

Thanks, it worked. I'm using XP but ran the diologue you had provided" chkdsk /f/ x/ H: (for the drive) and the corrupted folder was located. I was then asked if I wanted to convert it to a file and said yes (because I didn't want that folder anyway) and it was converted to a file  FOUND.OOO, which I was then able to delete and remove from the travel drive. That restored 90% of the drive.

Curious what the /f and the /x do?

Good. :thumbup2:

The /f instruct chkdsk to fix the problems it finds and the /x forces the drive to dismount before checking recommended so the tool can have total access to the drive.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users