Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSDARt /safety tools/opinions

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 A-IT(ech)

A-IT(ech)

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

I heard about MSDaRt microsoft tool. I want to know if anyone uses it? and if yes tell me your experience on it. i mean its really so good as they say? 

Second i will give you the list of the tools that i work with to keep my pc safe and i want a good opinion on it.

1) EsetNod32 Antivirus 7
2)MalwareBytes
3)Advanced Uninstaller Pro
4)CCleaner(its kinda useless if you have the solution 3)
5)FBackup
6)Oracle virtual box
7)ErAce CD
8)Eset nod32 rescue CD 

Opinions pirate.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

Hi

Eset Node32 is one of the good antivirus program which is capable of actually detecting malware. I assume nobody need to explain the credibility of malwarebytes.  

MSDaRT is not a regular software which can be purchased from Microsoft's store. It's only available to enterprise customers who have Microsoft's Software Assurance licence. It can be quiet useful in a business environment  where you need to troubleshoot hundreds or thousands of computers which are connected to a network. For example you can edit registry of a remote system or run crash analyzer wizard remotely with the help of "Remote Recover" functionality of MSDaRT.  To repair a single PC you don't need it. There are freeware alternatives available which can do almost all core functionalists offered by MSDaRT. 

#3 A-IT(ech)

A-IT(ech)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

First the list of the tools that i wrote its not completed i have some more that i use but ok..

Secondally i know what MSDaRT is and i know where to find it when i need it :D
 But by the time that it fixes everything why is not good for single pc repair.. Instead of using Nod32 rescue cd i can use this with 90% success..  what do you think?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:13 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer A-IT(ech)

For those reading this topic and not familiar...Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset (MSDaRT) is a tool intended to help System Administrators (and advanced users) identify root causes of system issues and to diagnose and repair a system that has become unbootable.

MSDaRT is part of the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP), a suite of utilities for Microsoft Windows customers who have subscribed to Microsoft Software Assurance program. MDOP is designed to bring easier manageability and monitoring of enterprise desktops, emergency recovery, and desktop/application virtualization.

Bleeping Computer is a family oriented site where we offer assistance to those who know very little about computing. As such, our forum discussion board is primarily targeted more for the novice user as they comprise most of our membership. We provide help based on that premise since it is impossible for us to know the extent of a member's background, knowledge level and experience until we get to know them. We also keep this in mind when writing replies since we know many novice members read various topics searching for answers without ever posting a reply.

As such, you may not receive much feedback in regards to your question about using it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 A-IT(ech)

A-IT(ech)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:39 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer A-IT(ech)

For those reading this topic and not familiar...Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset (MSDaRT) is a tool intended to help System Administrators (and advanced users) identify root causes of system issues and to diagnose and repair a system that has become unbootable.

MSDaRT is part of the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP), a suite of utilities for Microsoft Windows customers who have subscribed to Microsoft Software Assurance program. MDOP is designed to bring easier manageability and monitoring of enterprise desktops, emergency recovery, and desktop/application virtualization.

Bleeping Computer is a family oriented site where we offer assistance to those who know very little about computing. As such, our forum discussion board is primarily targeted more for the novice user as they comprise most of our membership. We provide help based on that premise since it is impossible for us to know the extent of a member's background, knowledge level and experience until we get to know them. We also keep this in mind when writing replies since we know many novice members read various topics searching for answers without ever posting a reply.

As such, you may not receive much feedback in regards to your question about using it.

Understood admin.. but i cant understand why is bad to use this utility to a single home pc.. thats my only question

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

I don't believe Anshad Edavana said it was bad to use. I read the reply as using MSDaRT on a single home computer is overkill in most scenarios.

#7 A-IT(ech)

A-IT(ech)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:03 AM

I don't believe Anshad Edavana said it was bad to use. I read the reply as using MSDaRT on a single home computer is overkill in most scenarios.

Yes that an opinion.. But who technician doesnt want a repair tool that makes everything with a high rate of success :D? since i can find the tool in low price.. NVM thanks everyone for the help.. Have a nice day.. and great job with this site.. I shared it with lot of my friend and they found it usefull too

#8 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:00 AM

Looks like FBackup is a file backup tool.

I also do monthly full disk backups.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#9 A-IT(ech)

A-IT(ech)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:02 AM

I also do monthly full disk backups

I dont understand you my friend?

(I use Fbackup too)

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:15 AM

Regular backups is one of the most important things folks can do in regards to safety. Unfortunately, backing up data is commonly overlooked or not performed by many users.

#11 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:39 PM

I also do monthly full disk backups

I dont understand you my friend?

(I use Fbackup too)

Well, say you have to reinstall your system.

If you do a full disk backup (i.e. image your drive), you just have to restore that backup.

If you do file backups, for example your data, you'll need to reinstall Windows and your programs, and then restore your data.

Much more work.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users