Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what's best way to get a video signal 100 feet to another monitor?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 berbes

berbes

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

hello.  not sure exactly where to post this, so pls bear with  me.  i have a marketing program for a bar on a laptop.  it's made with flash (swf file).  i want to run this signal to a couple of 60" HDTV's, one being 100+ feet away.

what is the best (meaning cheapest) way to get this done?  i've looked into wireless, but that is dependent on line of sight.  i also don't need 1080p per se, as the swf is comprised of 72 DPI images, text, special effects, etc.  i just want to make sure there is a clear picture with no noise.

thanks for the knowledge!

Edited by berbes, 22 March 2014 - 10:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:43 PM

Hi,

Wireless is dependent on line of sight? Have you looked at the possibility of using a router and a range extender to get a strong signal from the computer to the monitors?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:58 PM

wireless will be cheaper than 100 feet cable, the only problem is only it must have great signal,but if you need to be placed in crowded bar it could have problem with signal and if you want to fix signal problem it will cost more than 100 feet cable.

if in the fixture you will adding more HDTV, it better to invest in wireless but if you dont have plan to adding more HDTV, it better to buy a cable.

its better to calculate how much cable that you need to buy and how much it will cost you and calculate how much will it cost if you use wireless, then compare what is more cheaper cable or wireless :wink:

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#4 berbes

berbes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:53 PM

i've been reading up and found THIS.  would that do it the most economically (cost of wiring, equipment needed, etc.?

#5 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:18 PM

if I get that job of installation, I will buy a gold plate HDMI so I dont need to worry if adapter like you say get any problem in future.
I usually think something for the future, like if something get problem how many it will cost (I count it with transportation, food, smoke and replacement parts), it's better to be spare extra cost in the beginning of job rather than it will cost me a lot in future or make my client not satisfied :wink:

*gold plate HDMI cable more cheaper because you dont need anything else except for how do you place that cable :wink:

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

I'm wondering if Chromecast might work for you.

What video formats work with casting a tab from Chrome?
Almost every video you can view in your Chrome browser should work, including Flash videos. Video formats that require other plugins, such as Silverlight and Quicktime, may not work.

#7 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:54 PM

I'm wondering if Chromecast might work for you.

What video formats work with casting a tab from Chrome?
Almost every video you can view in your Chrome browser should work, including Flash videos. Video formats that require other plugins, such as Silverlight and Quicktime, may not work.

Chromecast should also work with any video that can be uploaded to realplayer, they have a realplayer app now. The only problem I see with that though is if other people are on the wifi.

The other alternative would be an HDMI cable, someone mentioned the HDMI-CAT5 extender but this 131ft HDMI cable is actually cheaper, even if you get an amplifier prior to the cable it would probably still be cheaper.

#8 berbes

berbes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:50 AM

EXCELLENT ideas!!  thanks for the fresh set of eyes :).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users