Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP computer hangs at Gateway F2 F10 Screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 daemori

daemori

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:40 AM

Hello, this is my first post here. I have a Gateway Desktop that was working fine until I changed a registry entry for System Pages Value Data. I changed this setting following instructions to solve a delay write error that one of my external HDDs was having. I did not write down the original value. I changed the setting to -ffffffff- eight "f"s per instruction.

Now my computer hangs at the Gateway F2, F10 screen and will not accept keyboard input. My immediate but temporary solution is to pull the CMOS battery and re-boot. Then the computer starts fine. I just have to rest the system time.

I will really appreciate any help that will solve my situation permanently

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

Hello, and welcome to Bleeping Computer,

The default decimal value for System Pages on my XP pro computer is 798720 (0x000c3000).

Run Regedit in a Admin account and navigate to the following key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\

Double click SystemPages and modify the key to a decimal value of  798720  (0x000c3000)

From what I have read, this modification should not have caused any issues.

#3 daemori

daemori
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:02 PM

Thanks for the welcome and your response. This all came about because I'm trying to get all of my important (to me) files out to External HDDs so I can migrate out of XP to a new OS before April. Does it matter that your value given is out of XP Pro? I am running XP Home.

That was the only modification done to my computer beside hooking up 2 Ext. HDDs via an external powered hub.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:08 PM

I don't think it matters and if does cause a problem we can change it back offline. You might want to install erunt which can backup and restore the registry. I would also create a restore point.

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Edit: Are the externals attached when the computer hangs at boot? If they are try changing the boot order in BIOS to boot from the HDD first.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 March 2014 - 05:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users