Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Window7 & CCleaner

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tazmo8448

tazmo8448

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:33 AM

Yesterday I had an issue with the OEM OS saying I did not have a genuine copy. I've had this PC since 7/12. Being an HP product it had the OS embedded. Microshaft said talk to HP. HP said '' Do you have CCleaner?'' well yeah and through garbled English I was made to understand that it causes problems. The tech proceded to log-me-in and deletle CC ran a few slui 4's and removed prefetch data and voila no more issue...hmmm. 

Has anyone else out there had an issue with CC? I've used it since 2010 and this is the first time I've ever heard of this.

Edited by hamluis, 22 March 2014 - 11:18 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

No issue here ever, run it daily on my Toshiba LT, Acer LT and my tower.  Seams strange I am sure we have many HP machines on the board, but honestly is is good to know that this did happen in your case.  Probably due to something in their the bloat ware on their machines, I ran/serviced quite a few HP machine they make a nice product.  Did they happen to mention what/where the conflict was?  I am sure CC would love to know!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 tazmo8448

tazmo8448
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:36 AM

To be honest the Patel I was talking to was extremely hard to understand plus on top of that he had a machine gun mouth it was hard to get a word in edge wise. When I did finally get through with a question I got the ' okay ' answer which is typical if you've ever had to call the call centers these days.  I did ask several times as to why but didn't get a definitive answer but one of the first things he did was when he did the logmein deal was delete it and said to run the windows disc/disk cleaner only.

Still scratching my head on that one. As stated earlier he ran or typed in 'slui 4' several times in the Start (RUN)Search Box then after zooming around with the cursor typed in prefetch and erased all. I even asked 'so all ya gotta do is slui 4 and prefech' and got the 'okay'.

I plan to go to CC and ask them whats up with this from HP tech help.  Weird.

Edited by tazmo8448, 22 March 2014 - 04:37 PM.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:52 PM

I have 2 OEM HP computers with Windows 7 and use CCleaner on both of them and never had any issues

--- I also have friends of mine with Windows 7 OEM, some HP's and some Dell's

--- Were you given an service number(?) so you can go on-line and see what the report is?

It seems odd to me that HP was willing to be helpful (at least for free) since you have OEM software

--- OldPhil am I wrong on that thought?

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:04 PM

Quote: It seems odd to me that HP was willing to be helpful (at least for free) since you have OEM software

--- OldPhil am I wrong on that thought?

I did a post on the CCLeaner board to see if any other had the issue, seems very odd indeed.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 tazmo8448

tazmo8448
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

@cmptrgy-yeah I have an HP laptop since 2010 and a desktop since 2012 and have CC on both as a matter of fact when I unboxed my laptop and called in with an issue the tech recommended CC right off the bat. This time the tech used the Run box entered slui 4 which takes you to a M$ verification site then entered US then did the same and entered prefetch in the Run box and bingo no issue. AFTER he deleted/un-installed CC. Beats me but he was adamant about CC.

All this was after I went through the installation ID and verification ID with M$ and it was a no go. M$ said go to HP as it is an OEM and they don't service that. Both computers are still under warranty ( I have extended the laptop to the max ) the desktop is still under its initial 2 yr warranty.

@Doppleganger yeah the desktop is still under warranty. Funny thing is the OS is the same one I've been using since 7/2012 with no issues. I as a matter of course install CC and Malwarebytes and Auslogic Defrag along with SpyBot Search and Destroy along with SuperAntiSpyware on all my stuff. I use Microsoft Security Essentials and run MRT from time to time. Also have been getting all the M$ updates all but Bing Bar. Don't believe in tool bars.

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:21 PM

Thanks for your answer. I see now why HP was helpful; your computer is an official HP OEM system & you have a warranty in effect; smart idea

--- Additionally you are proactive in keeping your computer clean & safe

My question pertaining to OEM was based on a different take

--- I have some friends who are buying Windows 7 OS discs and want to upgrade their XP's to Windows 7 and want me to help them

--- I don't know where they are buying their software from yet, but I was thinking that if they are OEM software, they'll be on their own if an issue comes up including you "do not have a genuine copy" issue

---But if they do consider taking in a warranty package, they should be all set

#8 tazmo8448

tazmo8448
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:31 PM

@cmptrgy My understanding on OS is if you buy a disc from like let's say Amazon or NewEgg it to my understanding will be covered by M$. If they go online and get a digital copy the same rules apply. In other words if it is legit M$ honors it. If like a lot of my friends you do a bare bones build and add a OS the rules still apply. HP and others like Dell have the OS embedded to the motherboard as in my case. Bare bones are cheaper to do but when problems arise you have to go to each individual maker as you know to reconcile issues, most things like CPUs, MB's, GPU's and PSU's usually have a 5 yr warranty.

I've seen Win7x64 SP1 go for around 90 bucks here lately, not too bad considering. Me I'm waiting for Win9 to be trotted out the Win8 & 8.1 haven't impressed me much what with their gearing everything towards touch pads not my cuppa tea. It almost getting to be like cars were in the 50's 60's & 70's get a new one every three yrs. Nowadays they all look alike.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users