Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating an Avatar using Paint

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 tazmo8448

tazmo8448

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:55 AM

Photoshoppers don't have to worry about me. I have tried to shrink a photo to use as an avatar and when I do shrink it to lets say 80x80 pixels and save it it creates an image that still has the rest of the blank page which makes it un-usable. When I crop it and save it it does the same thing.

How do I save an image and not have the rest of the blank space saved also?

Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 22 March 2014 - 11:16 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Graphics Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:28 PM

Hello tazmo8448

When you save the file be sure to save it as a "png" file, that should solve your problem.

If you have access to Paint Shop Pro, I could guide you step by step on how to do that, but other programs work much the same way.

PS. It may help others here to give you some more information if you could tell us If you are running Windows "paint" or "Paint.net".

Edited by GB2064, 22 March 2014 - 04:36 PM.

#3 tazmo8448

tazmo8448
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

Thanks I finally went to youtube and found a tutorial. What I was doing wrong was when I 'Resized' I was saving the whole thing rather than the 'Cropped' version. I caught a little grief from the admin here because I used an avatar that would fit and it had the f bomb in it. So I high tailed it to youtube.

Yes sir I am using windows paint in accesories. I have all sorts of photo stuff (like three) that came with this HP desktop and really don't use them. I also have a GIMP2 deal so I can color skins in IL-2 and other combat flight sims (still working on that though). I'm really new to this sort of thing. In the past I was just 'borrowing' other folks avatars I liked and used 'em.

Edited by tazmo8448, 22 March 2014 - 04:49 PM.

#4 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:29 PM

If you like Windows Paint, you might want to try Paint.Net "free" at the link below.

It was originally intended as a free replacement for Windows Paint, but has many more features, including the ability to save files in PNG, and several other file types.

http://www.getpaint.net/

#5 tazmo8448

tazmo8448
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:36 PM

Hey thanks and I'll give her a look see. Speaking of see I see you like dogs too...that tells me you can't be all bad....that's southern for a compliment.

One question does this getpaint thing attach itself to Paint or is it a standalone?

#6 violetrose

violetrose

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:42 PM

It was thanks to advice here at bc about 18 months ago that I found an excellent program, FastStone Image Viewer. (LOL I used it to create my avatar from one of my photos)The version I am using is 4.9 and is much easier to use than Paint. A new version 5.1 is out now which would be worth checking out.

http://faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

#7 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:49 PM

Paint.net is a clean download from there, no adware or junk.

#8 tazmo8448

tazmo8448
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:57 AM

@GB2064 what I was asking is if Paint.net is a standalone program unto itself or does it use the existing paint to work in windows.

@violetrose hey thanks and I think this'll be the last one I check out I've got more photo things than I have sense.

Edited by tazmo8448, 24 March 2014 - 01:26 PM.

#9 tazmo8448

tazmo8448
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:00 AM

@violetrose hey that fast stone thing is pretty neat or as they say these days 'da bomb'.

#10 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

Paint.net is a separate, "stand alone" program.

#11 slowlane

slowlane

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:22 PM

I have many tools for cropping and resizing, but mostly use Windows7 Paint.

Select Rectangular ▶ drag the pointer ▶ Crop ▶ Resize ▶ select Percentage or Pixels and set parameters ▶ OK. Save as png or jpg.

I always make avatars square. I'll color a white background in a light pastel because white is ugly.

Like all editing tools, practice makes perfect.

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:27 PM

Just FYI.

Photoshop online free photo editor - edit your image online for free!

#13 slowlane

slowlane

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:39 PM

Yes, also known as Pixler. I use it a lot. Very good tool.  http://pixlr.com/editor/

#14 Offset

Offset

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:58 PM

I think plain old MS Paint is very underrated. The wonderful thing about it is simplicity, so if you're drawing something simple or doing some simple repair work on an image (for example, copying and pasting background to paint things out), I always prefer Paint to Photoshop (and I use GIMP over Photoshop anyway).

Good example, you can paint things out in MS Paint (I find it far quicker than photoshop to do this simple task, but probably because I'm not used to photoshop), then I'll open up Gimp and do some blending and filters to clean everything up and voila :)

Paint is very good for pixel art as well (at least in my opinion), I don't like Windows 7 Paint though ;)

#15 dreamangel1000

dreamangel1000

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 15 March 2015 - 05:41 AM

Just FYI.

Photoshop online free photo editor - edit your image online for free!

I love you tool , But you can also check another photoshop online version same like you known as toolpic as it has animated feature. and also i like the ready made shortcut effect. Hope it helps the users

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users