Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install XP Home using XP Pro disc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cjame1220

cjame1220

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:33 PM

I have a Dell Inspirin Mini 1012 and it doesn't have a CD/DVD drive. I made the mistake of installing Windows 8. Needless to say, it wouldn't boot after that. I installed the HDD in my HP tower in order to format the drive. I have a reinstall disc of XP Home svc pk 2-the Cert of Auth is for XP Home ULCPC. I need a way to install XP Home using what I have now. I need options, guys! :bananas:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:44 AM

Your topic title and body don't agree.

So, to confirm, are you trying to install using an XP Pro disk and an XP Home key. . . or trying to install with an XP Home SP2 with an XP ULCPC key?

The first scenario definitely won't work, and based on some quick research (not very familiar with XP ULCPC), the second won't either.  ULCPC is considered a different version than home.

The best bet would be to contact Dell and see if they can provide a solution.  You may be out of luck though.

I know that this isn't pertinent to your question: but XP support ends in a few weeks. It is time to consider upgrading. While your Mini may not be able to support Windows 7 or 8, it could support a light Linux Distribution. I'd encourage taking time to read over the following topic which has some more information about this: With XP ending, what are your alternatives?

Linux may sound scary to the uninitiated, but some distibutions such as the one suggested in the above topic, Ubuntu, are easy to get the hang of.

Anyway, best of luck!

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 cjame1220

cjame1220
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:24 AM

Re-installing XP isn't exactly my first choice, either, but my Win 7 Pro Product ID isn't valid now (MSDN). Linux sounds like a good alternative-how do you put the install on a thumb drive-just copy it and boot into USB first?

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:25 PM

Basically yes. You can install Linux from a thumbdrive, CD, DVD, direct download any number of ways depending on the exact flavour you decide to try. I suggest you go and have a look at the posts in the Linux OS section of BC, where you will also find 'Cheesemaker's Linux Corner' !

There is reasonably wide agreement that Puppy (because it is very small) and Mint are good starting points.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users