Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cant load or install windows in my laptop's 2.5 hdd when connected to desktop

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 phrbob93

phrbob93

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:53 PM

I want to connect my laptop 2.5 hard disk 500 GB to my pc internally. It contains windows 7 32 bit installed.
When i connected it to my pc, it says unable to boot, insert a propper boot media.
When iam going to install a fresh window 7 on it... windows setup says "unable to load window on this partition..it may have diffrent boot settings"

I had connected it in some other desktop it loads the preinstalled windows successfully.. but not to my desktop

How can i bypass this error ? please suggest

Edited by phrbob93, 21 March 2014 - 09:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Boulton

James Boulton

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:07 PM

I had a similar problem with my desktop after a power failure. When I went to restart the computer couldn't find the disk to boot from. The problem was resolved when I went into the boot section of cmos and identified the disk that contained windows. The problem in that case was that the battery for the cmos was dead, and when the computer lost power it reverted to the original setup. In you case the disk that is identified may be the old one, which no longer contains your system files.

To go into cmos press delete at start up when you power on the computer. Cmos is the program that starts your computer. Go to the section that is identified for boot-up. There will be a section that shows the order for boot-up. Make sure that your that your new drive is shown, and select it as the one to boot from.

I hope that helps you.

#3 phrbob93

phrbob93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:02 AM

Nope still having same error

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:14 AM

You cannot expect Windows to boot in a different computer than the one it was installed on - if it does it's purely luck due to the hardware in the other computer chancing to be similar enough.

You also cannot do the Windows installation in another computer and transfer it back into your laptop, if that's what your post indicated you were hoping to do.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 phrbob93

phrbob93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:22 AM

Ok got u..C but could i install new window in the same hdd on my desktop.. without data loss.. though the hardware configuration of my laptop and desktop are diffrent... plz suggest

#6 James Boulton

James Boulton

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

Installing windows should not effect the data contained on the hard drive. That should be available after the install provided the data is in such form as doc. jpeg, etc. Programs which had been installed, however will not work and will need to be reinstalled. I believe that partitions on the drive will remain available as well. I am sorry my earlier advice wasn't helpful.

Jamie

#7 phrbob93

phrbob93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:17 AM

Well when i was installing windows on the drive.. the installation process dosent shows any partitions.. whateve it shows is my hard disk with full space free.
And when i press install in that partition it gives error like..
U cant install win in this partition it may have diffrent boot settings..

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:34 AM

Could the Windows 7 installed on the laptop drive boot up when the drive was fitted to the laptop? If it has been removed from the laptop because its own Windows installation had become corrupted, this corruption (either a logical error in the file system, or a physical error in the drive) could be preventing the drive from being accessed correctly.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 phrbob93

phrbob93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:45 AM

I have mentioned that i had successfuly boot from that drive in other computer(i m satisfied with your answer that the two pc have same configuration)
And i dont think that the win get courrpted coz it was a day before yesterday...

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

When you take a hdd with a Windows operating system installed from the computer it was originally installed on and install it in another computer you are asking for major problems. The excerpt below is from a Intel article which describes in detail what happens. The article also mentions a reference to an article by Microsoft, it can be seen here.

Moving a hard drive with Windows already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer you may not be able to start Windows. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you change your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 James Boulton

James Boulton

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:11 PM

My suggestion would be to save the data on your drive on another drive, such as an external drive, then reformat the drive using the windows install. This will allow you to save your data, and allow a clean install as well. It is a work-around, but would lead hopefully to a working computer, where you can then re-install your data.

#12 phrbob93

phrbob93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:07 AM

I have deleted all the partitions of the drive.. and tried to install windows 7 but it faliled..
It said windows cant be installed on this drive...
Still gettin same error after formatting the drive

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:43 AM

Who is the manufacturer of this hdd?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 James Boulton

James Boulton

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:52 AM

Have you tried reformatting with the windows install program? If you haven't reformatted your drive, try running the format drive in the install program, then I think that you will find that windows will load.. I have experienced the same situation when I tried to install windows. It was after a virus attack. Windows requires a bootable drive in order to install. Good luck!

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:18 AM

Have you tried reformatting with the windows install program? If you haven't reformatted your drive, try running the format drive in the install program, then I think that you will find that windows will load.. I have experienced the same situation when I tried to install windows. It was after a virus attack. Windows requires a bootable drive in order to install. Good luck!

phrbob93 posted the following in post #12.

[quote]I have deleted all the partitions of the drive.. and tried to install windows 7 but it faliled.. 

It said windows cant be installed on this drive... 
Still gettin same error after formatting the drive[quote].

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users