Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GreenScreen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ricardo76

Ricardo76

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:54 PM

Made the presumption that avast and zone alarm would adequately keep me safe. Alas I now have a green desktop / wallpaper and things running very slowly. Any tips? I've installed mse run it with no luck, started in safe mode etc etc.

Edited by hamluis, 22 March 2014 - 10:29 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:26 PM

G'day Ricardo76, and Welcome to BC !!

You now have two AV's running at the same time....this will Always cause problems

Credit quietman7

The primary concern with using more than one anti-virus program is due to conflicts that can arise when they are running in real-time mode simultaneously. However, even when one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone scanner, it can affect the other. Anti-virus software components insert themselves into the operating systems core and using more than one can cause instability, crash your computer, slow performance and waste system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, they both may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Each anti-virus will often interpret the activity of the other as a virus and there is a greater chance of them alerting you to a "False Positive". If one finds a virus and then the other also finds the same virus, both programs will be competing over exclusive rights on dealing with that virus. Each anti-virus will attempt to remove the offending file and quarantine it. If one finds and quarantines the file before the other one does, then you encounter the problem of both wanting to scan each other's zipped or archived files and each reporting the other's quarantined contents. This can lead to a repetitive cycle of endless alerts that continually warn you that a virus has been found when that is not the case.

Anti-virus scanners use virus definitions to check for viruses and these can include a fragment of the virus code which may be recognized by other anti-virus programs as the virus itself. Because of this, most anti-virus programs encrypt their definitions so that they do not trigger a false alarm when scanned by other security programs. However, some anti-virus vendors do not encrypt their definitions and will trigger false alarms if used while another resident anti-virus program is active.

To avoid these problems, use only one anti-virus solution. Deciding which one to remove is your choice.

Most anti-virus vendors recommend that you install and run only one anti-virus program at a time:
Symantec's statement.
Avast's statement.
AVG's statement.
Dell Support advises the same for their systems.

SO....uninstall one. I would suggest keeping Avast!

Uninstall Zone Alarm

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/zonealarm-uninstall-tool/dl/58/

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Ricardo76

Ricardo76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

Thank you for such a detailed response, so I uninstalled avast and installed mse, but still have zone alarm running. I might stick with mse and enable my windows firewall. Avast has been giving me the ****s lately so am willing to change up for a bit. Thoughts on this approach?

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

If MSE is your AV of choice, that is cool. However, zone alarm is still a second anti virus and should be uninstalled. (unless zone alarm is the Firewall Only )

Personally I would go with Microsofts default firewall, ...I imagine it would 'play better' with MSE.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 Ricardo76

Ricardo76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:58 PM

Cheers will try that, but I think I have a RAT, best way to kill it?

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:13 PM

1. Are you still getting a green screen ?

2. Have you limited your PC to running only ONE anti virus ?

3. Why do you think you are experiencing a remote access trojan ??

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 Ricardo76

Ricardo76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:31 PM

1. Yes
2. Thought I had uninstalled avast but apparently not.
3. Let me do 2 and check everything

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:34 PM

Uninstall Avast...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/avast-software-uninstall-utility/dl/37/

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 Ricardo76

Ricardo76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:55 PM

Thanks, won't post again until I've done all the above suggestions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users