Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whatsapp Virus -- Flashing Dell page, and nothing else....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Grapeshot

Grapeshot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

Greetings to all -- this is my first post, so if I act funny ......

Yesterday I am certain the Whatsapp voicemail thing hit my oldish Dell Inspiron Windows 7.  Foolishly I clicked on the email and here I am.

Things went downhill from there, until today, all the computer does is blink at me with the black Dell bootup page, flashing on and off, with a little grinding sound, mocking, laughing at me.

I tried pulling out the battery and putting it back in;  I tried booting up with a cd in the player;  I tried prayer;  so far nothing has worked;  still getting the flashing Dell boot up page.    So I can't even get to first base on any of the strategies for downloading cleanups, etc. described in the Forum.

Really, what I'm most concerned about is my document library.   I'm wondering if there's a way to extract it from the demonic broken Inspiron even without getting the computer well.   I probably ought to trade in the thing anyhow, since I've had it since 2010.   By the way -- I'm writing this now on my pre-historic Dell Inspiron, which actually went to Iraq with me in 2006.  It's heavier than an M-16, but it's working fine.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received -- thanks to all.   Will check back tomorrow.

Best wishes,

Grapeshot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:11 AM

Couple of questions to rule out some things first.

First, you mention the Dell page "flashing"  Does this mean that, when the computer is turned on, the computer flashes the dell page over and over again, until the computer is turned off?  Or, does the page flash once, you hear the grinding, and then the computer shuts off until you turn it on again?

Second, you mention a grinding noise.  Any other noises?  I'm particularly interested in beeps.  if there are any beeps, how many and in what pattern?

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 Grapeshot

Grapeshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

Good morning Blade:    Thanks for your reply.

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS:  When the computer is turned on, the computer flashes the dell page over and over again, until the computer is turned off.

NOISE:    Blade, I only hear a brief grinding.  No beeps.

Here is the sequence:

1.  I push 'on' button.
2.  Dell image appears against black background page.
3.  Thin horizontal 'loading' line appears beneath the Dell image, and actually indicates that it's booting up.
4.  When the 'loading' line gets about 90% to the right, I hear the brief grinding.
5.  Then the screen goes dark, and the cycle begins all over again.   The cycle repeats itself until I physically turn off the power button.
6.  I should also mention that when the 'loading' line is nearing the 90% point, in the lower right corner of the screen I see the F2 and F12 links.  If I time it right, I can actually get one or the other to work, which takes me to the set up and boot up screens.   But I haven't been able to overcome the main problem.

Hope this additional info provides some clues.

Many thanks,

Grapeshot

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:55 AM

Hello Grapeshot,

. . .Things went downhill from there. . .

Could you please elaborate on what happened between your clicking on the suspicious email, and your current status? Did you run any scans or other fix programs? Did any error messages appear? Did the machine crash or freeze unexpectedly, or did you just turn on the computer one day and it would no longer boot?

Any information you can provide will be helpful regardless of which path you decide to take (see below).

I see two courses of action we can pursue here.

First, we can attempt to clean the computer and restore it to a working state. This will likely take more time, and will involve me handing you off to our Malware Removal Team since we're dealing with a malware situation that has you in an unbootable state. If you would like to try and salvage this computer for further use. . . this is the option to try.

Alternatively:

I'm wondering if there's a way to extract it from the demonic broken Inspiron even without getting the computer well.

This may also be an option. We can try using a bootable disc to access your hard drive outside of windows so that you can recover documents. If you have resigned to commit this computer to the scrap heap, it will probably be the faster option to recover your data, but will not leave you with a healthy computer. Additionally, since we're unsure exactly what breed of malware we're dealing with here, only media files (documents, images, music, etc) will be safe to recover. Any executable, program component, or web language file will be unsafe to transfer out of the system.

Personally I would attempt to clean the machine, but that's just me. Even if cleaning the machine does not prove viable, you can still attempt data recovery later.

Let me know which course of action you would like to undertake.

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users