Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possibly Infected

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ocean77

ocean77

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:42 PM

Hoping this is the correct area to post this problem. I've been helping a friend with his lap top (Vista OS). It was infected with a so called Internet Security Protection which turned out tp be some kind of virus, it was also infected with BlasterWorm. Was unable to do anything (Including getting on line) so what I did was to do a System Restore back to August because the last ime he said he did anything was sometime in September. I was still unable to go on line so I did a scan with MalWareBytes which I had to plce it in the laptop by copying the program from my computer and putting it on a Flash drive and went in through Safe Mode. What happened then I did a reboot and it appeared that the main issues were gone and I am able to go on line. The problems I am dealing with now is that when I try and install anything it seems to Run, but it will not install. So right now I am with Virus protection. I tried installing MS Security Essentials and Avast without success. Also when I try and do Windows updates (which I do not believe they've been done for a while) I get a message that it cannot check for updates because the service is not running. Would appreciate any help on how to possibly get programs installed correctly and to be able to do updates. Thank you so mauch for any assistance.

Tom 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gmer99

Gmer99

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:12 PM

My advice is to find special cleaning tool for Blaster Worm from Google or to use some powerful tools like DrWeb cleaning tool , Kaspersky Tool or Eset Online Scanner to clean the viruses that might corupt your updates and all software installing .... #1  is Cleaning the PC and #2 Updates ... You can repair your Windows in Safe Mode if you insert the Windows CD in and run the repair Menu ... If you had a system restore might be much easier to do that ... You choose  :smash:

#3 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:41 AM

Looks as though I'm going to have to tell him to trash this laptop. I've tried numerous times to try and get some kind of Virus scan program to download, but all failed. I tried Safe Mode...nothing. I cannot get any kind of virus protection so I guess that is it. I hate giving up, but do not have any solution. Thank you so much for all your help.

Tom

Edited by ocean77, 22 March 2014 - 03:42 AM.

#4 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:56 AM

Just curious, any idea how I was able to put Malwarebytes into the laptop via the flash drive (although Safe Mode), but unable to do the same with Virus scan?

#5 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:24 AM

I stand corrected as far as previous post. I was able to install (not through Safe Mode) Kaspersky Virus scan with flash drive. It is doing the scan right now and we will see what happens. It is telling me computer is at risk (which I knew) but will this program make it so I can install a virus protection?

#6 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:38 AM

I stand corrected as far as previous post. I was able to install (not through Safe Mode) Kaspersky Virus scan with flash drive. It is doing the scan right now and we will see what happens. It is telling me computer is at risk (which I knew) but will this program make it so I can install a virus protection?

Big waste of time installing this program. It did do a complete scan and found issues, but all it seem to be was an commercial to buy their software.

#7 Gmer99

Gmer99

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:20 PM

If nothing works save your important files to ur USB  stick and you should format your Windows and install a fresh one i hope you have the DVD  or CD to install it ... I suppose you skipped some steps when you installed Kaspersky  Virus Removal tool ... you should let it finish all your PC and after that clean possible infections if you found them ... You can do it again and check the settings on this cleaning tool make sure they are on MAXIMUM LEVEL  ... is impossible not to find any infections , after you delete all infections try to see if you have internet connection check your Network settings Reset the local adapter ... Don't give up !!!  :clapping:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users