Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer beeps & Glitchy Freezes

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Cayzi

Cayzi

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:51 PM

I've noticed for awhile but it's getting worse. The problem started when I had a power outage. It was when I was sleeping so I didn't notice. I went to turn my computer on and the fans and lights turn on and then it beeps 5 times and turns off. I discovered a trick though, I press to turn it on and while the fans are on I press again and it turns on. I was google-ing and it said 5 beeps means a hardware error or something. But since I got it to turn on I disregarded it because it worked. I thought it was a one time thing but it happens every time my computer turns off. 

By the way, my computer was custom built less than a year and a half ago. (by a friend, not me) If you need to know any specs let me know, I'm not sure what type of motherboard I have if that matters. 

That was like a month ago or more when it first happened. But today, I was browsing the web and when I loaded a youtube vid the screen would freeze for a few seconds, It happened a few times until My 2 monitors just froze with a bunch of glitchy lines on it. So I force turned my computer off and turned it on the same way 2 presses. It turned on but then text came on saying one of my disks needs to be checked for consistency? I'll include pictures I took with my phone. 

What should I do? Does anyone know the problem? Thanks in advance. 

I tried yahoo answers and someone said it's probably a virus so I came here.

http://imgur.com/a/BDWBd here's an album of the pics I took

I use avast and the regular window firewall & my operating system is Windows 7.

Edited by Cayzi, 21 March 2014 - 04:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 David D

David D

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:37 PM

So, when you turn on your computer, it beeps five times? That indicates a hardware failure. That also could be the reason your monitors get lines on them. Could you tell me the brand and model of the motherboard? It should be printed on the board somewhere.

#3 Cayzi

Cayzi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:42 PM

Yes it would beep 5 times then turn off. But I haven't been giving it the chance to beep recently before pressing again to turn it on.

and its an

Intel Media DH77EB Motherboard 

#4 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

In some situations a computer may have power related issues often caused by either the power supply or the motherboard. To help determine if this is the cause of your issue try turning the computer on, off, and back on as fast as possible, making sure the computer power light goes on and off each time. In some situations you may be able to temporarily get the computer to boot.
This should only be used as a temporary workaround if you're able to get this to work. Often this is good for users who may have not done a backup and need to get the computer up one more time to copy files before starting to replace hardware.

#5 Cayzi

Cayzi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:59 PM

Yes that's how I'm on my computer now.  Pressing the button twice quickly. Is there certain files I should copy to a USB? What might go missing? 

#6 Cayzi

Cayzi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:05 PM

Can anyone tell me what happened when I turned my computer on in the pictures here http://imgur.com/a/BDWBd

the whole "one of your disks needs to be checked for consistency"

I'm not sure what it did maybe it fixed things? 

#7 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

The Power supply is dangerous component in one configuration and able to destroy many others.So write exact model of it.

#8 Cayzi

Cayzi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:14 PM

Ace Power 700W Power Supply

#9 David D

David D

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:24 PM

Here is a link to the manual for the board you have...http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20951/eng/dh77eb_TechProdSpec05.pdf (Chapter 4.2, BIOS beep codes)

It looks like there is no beep code for 5 beeps...are you sure its not 4 beeps? That would make sense since your video is not working correctly. Although the information from the manual does not match perfectly, I would say the video card is the problem.

If that is the case, you would need to buy a new video card, install it, and disable the onboard video. You will not lose any information off the harddrive if that is the problem.

If you lost power, you most likely had a power spike. Is your computer plugged into a surge protector? That might help prevent future damage.

The disk check shows up because you forced your computer off without properly shutting down

Edited by David D, 21 March 2014 - 06:27 PM.

#10 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:26 PM

So 25£ or 40$,cheap and rubbish.I don`t know this brand.Real 700W Power supply is over 100$

#11 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:33 PM

Write your configuration in order to calculate what power is needed.Good power supplies have a potential to prevent damage when electricity stops.

Edited by Alex&Vanko, 21 March 2014 - 06:36 PM.

#12 Cayzi

Cayzi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:35 PM

Write your configuration in order to calculate what power is needed.

I'm not sure how to do that

#13 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:40 PM

You can use Speccy http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Make a screenshot of main window.

#14 Cayzi

Cayzi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:48 PM

http://i.imgur.com/V8Nftpg.png 

#15 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:57 PM

The temperatures are very good.i7 and 7850 or 7870 may be.So how much is your financial budget and post link where to buy PSU.

Edited by Alex&Vanko, 21 March 2014 - 08:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users