Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer starts for 1sec turn off!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jenkuhnjk

Jenkuhnjk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:10 PM

Computer starts up, fans and light come one for a sec then shuts off.

My computer broke a while back, got a new motherboard and installed everything. Computer started up worked for a day. Next day I start up and plug into a USB and computer turns off immediately. Tried again with same result. Go to turn on again and notice a burn smell from an area directly next to my heatsink, with a little smoke. I immediately turn off computer and blow on it? Since then computer has had the problem stated above. I switched power supply to make sure it wasn't that. I'm not very text savy, just kinda learn as I go. Any suggestions? Been without a computer for a while now getting frustrated. Motherboard was given to me by a friend from when before he updated his. Extremely dusty, I had dusted it with canned air before installing.

My computer:
650w power supply
655ti graphics (I think it's AMD not sure)
8gigs of ram
Intel core processor that came with my friend motherboard
Not sure bout motherboard it is made by dell and is a dual core.

Any advice or ideas for how to fix it would be appreciated... Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:17 PM

IMO what ever smoked is done for, you need to take things apart to see if you can figure out what burned.  Near the heat sink could be CPU or a capacitor only inspection will tell.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:28 PM

Smoke and burning smells are never a good sign. Even if you follow OldPhil's suggestion and identify what has gone up in smoke you may be able to do nothing about it due to the surface mount technology used in circuit boards today.

As you said this was an old mobo I think you are going to have to bite the bullet and either buy a new one or see if you can source another second hand one that has the same processor socket. Ebay ?

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:34 PM

To save yourself some grief get the exact board, if you go for a different board more likely it will not recognize your hard drive.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users