Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading RAM on my computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 seppy50

seppy50

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:49 PM

Hey this is my first time posting a forum topic and I hope I am in the right section.

My computer is a HP Pavilion Media Center m8120n with the video card of NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SE and an upgraded voltage supply of 1200 V I believe.  The tower has also been upgraded with more fans (probably pointless to mention).

Through the years I have used my computer I was told that I was not able to upgrade my system's RAM through various technicians such as ones from A-Power and NCIX.  However, I cam across the site Crucial.com and through their scan I was told that it supports 8GB.  This was shocking and I am very excited to get more RAM because during games I use 97% of my 3GB RAM and 67% on just Windows 7 itself.  So my first question is, is Crucial right about upgrading my hardware?  Keep in mind I want to purchase up to 8GB RAM and paying 150$ for a computer I will replace in a few years doesn't seem worth it.

My second question is that can I find this type of RAM cheaper somewhere else?  I tried finding these RAM on Ebay not knowing if their quality will be the same or not but I've found this.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-8GB-4X2GB-PC2-6400-DDR2-800-800MHz-240pin-DIMM-Desktop-Memory-Low-Density-/151210059926

The recommended RAM from Crucial is this:  http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=FB3FBABCA5CA7304

4GB kit (2GBx2), 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 memory module Part Number: CT767937 Module Size: 4GB kit (2GBx2) Package: 240-pin DIMM Feature: DDR2 PC2-6400 Specs: DDR2 PC2-6400 • CL=6 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-800 • 1.8V • 256Meg x 64 • 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:01 PM

I am wondering what the CL 5 & 6 difference is, it may be meaningless or significant.  Try searching the net to clarify what it means, if it does not have any effect I would grab the Ebay ram.

I got nosy and did the search there is about a 2% difference in speed, IMO you would never notice such a slight difference!

Edited by OldPhil, 21 March 2014 - 05:04 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:09 PM

How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running.

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=FB3FBABCA5CA7304

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:20 PM

Very good point on the OS's bit rate, 64 will accept 8 32 will not.

#5 seppy50

seppy50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:38 PM

Wow you guys have been great! Didn't expect responses so quick. I am running 64bit so that is no problem. I don't know how you found the CL=5 but thanks for the help. So would two of these be reconmended?

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:37 PM

Go for the Ebay ones, the seller has a good rep and lifetime warranty.

#7 seppy50

seppy50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:40 PM

Alright, thank you very much for helping me! I am really excited about this upgrade. Revcently I discovered VRAM and have made room for 27GB of it LOL. I know it can slow down my computer but I needed some to prevent crashing. Anyways, thank you Nick and Phil (I assume?) for your time!!

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:45 PM

IMO see how you like the 8g first, you may decide to leave it alone.

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:13 AM

The makers website is often a good place to check specifications.  HP's site is a bit of a nightmare, but I found this,  while this is the motherboard specification. It shows that it will support 2Gb per DIMM, so as it has 4 DIMM slots, an upgrade to 8Gb is possible (so Crucial's memory selector is right).

Alright, thank you very much for helping me! I am really excited about this upgrade. Revcently I discovered VRAM and have made room for 27GB of it LOL. I know it can slow down my computer but I needed some to prevent crashing. Anyways, thank you Nick and Phil (I assume?) for your time!!

By VRAM do you mean virtual memory?   The abbreviation normally means Video RAM but that wouldn't make any sense, so I assume it's virtual memory.  I would suggest leaving the setting alone, leave it on automatic management.  Adding a 27Gb fixed size page file won't improve performance.  If it's running out of virtual memory, it shouldn't and I think that needs to be looked at to see what process is consuming all the memory.

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

With higher amounts of installed ram the virtual memory can be reduced if not eliminated, give you an examples.  My 6 gig lap top I have cut it to 500 has been that way for nearly two years, my 2 gig mini Acer is system controlled.  My tower with 16 gigs being a full SSD setup runs no virtual memory at all reducing writes to the drives.  On our older machines many of us set the virtual memory to 2-1/2 times the amount of installed ram, most systems SSD or spinner with 16 gig or better need no VM.  MS came up with virtual memory to make up for the lack of ram in older systems.  Everyone with a lot of ram should experiment paring down or eliminating VM it will prolong the life of any drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users