Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update error 800700C1

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nathanlaud

nathanlaud

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:29 AM

For some time now I have been unable to install any windows updates. When I open windows update the first message I get is "Install new Windows Update Software. To check for updates you must first install an update for Windows update". I click on install now and then after about 30 seconds I get the following error "Windows could not search for new updates. Error code 800700C1". I have looked through this forum as well as other site and have not been able to find a solution. I have tried several things including the microsoft Fix It tool and the Readiness Tool, neither of which have solved the problem. I have Windows 7 Professional. Let me know if you need any more information. Has anyone got any other suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:34 AM

Have you read this? It may be of some use.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/error-code-800700c1/1506421e-2d26-4da6-8914-8328f438315c

#3 nathanlaud

nathanlaud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:08 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have seen this. I tried method 1, stopping and restarting the windows update agent, but that didn't help. I also did the sfc /scanow but I'm not much of an expert on this sort of thing and don't really know how to interpret the CBS.Log file? It said "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them". Would it be useful if I upload the log file?

#4 astaqq

astaqq

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

Hi Nathanlaud,

Just seen your post, and it looks as though you have the same problem I have had and only about an hour ago corrected due to help here.

Look at the thread, --- on page 1 of the Win7 section ,

URL link is http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/528415/windows-installer-win7-wont-install-updates-or-uninstall-progs/, hope it works for you, Regards  astaqq

Windows Installer (Win7) Won't Install Updates or Uninstall Progs.

#5 nathanlaud

nathanlaud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:03 AM

Hi astaqq,

Thanks for the reply. I've just tried that and unfortunately that doesn't fix anything for me.

#6 astaqq

astaqq

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

Hi Nathanlaud,

Sorry to hear that, but it was worth a try,

Regards astaqq.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users