Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

saving my outlook POP Gmail folders when i wipe my computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chugg

chugg

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:39 AM

I am wiping my computer tomorrow nite from Windows XP to Windows 7.  I am also switching to Office 2010.  I have my gmail set up in my outlook with years of saved emails and folders.  Because it is set up as POP it is not being saved on the Gmail folder.  How can I save these folders and emails so I dont lose them?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:46 AM

Sweet google, ambrosia for the brain, endless tome of knowledge...

https://www.google.com/search?q=exporting+importing+mail+in+outlook&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=iceweasel-a&channel=fflb

#3 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:53 AM

a PST file isnt good.  I have tried it before.  It does not put your mail back in the correct folders.  It took me years to recover the last time I tried that.  They end up in an excel type of format that is impossible to find anything.  I need my emails back in my folders so I would like to create it on the gmail server somehow. 

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:04 AM

did you export a PST? or use the Backup function? (2 options down the list) This also creates a PST, but add more details.

I believe the backup function preserves email folders.

I don't believe you can load it up to Gmails IMAP server, someone else might know different.

Edited by TsVk!, 21 March 2014 - 01:05 AM.

#5 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:13 AM

Yes in the past I used pst and it didnt put my mail back in my folders.  There has to be a way to get those folders into my gmail.  They are in my gmail outlook but not on the server because I have a pop account

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:22 AM

I'm not 100% sure of gmail to outlook mapping, i assume it would be the same as any other pop server... using other servers I have been able to use the "backup" feature and preserve the folder structure.

also,

I've transferred accounts successfully (including folder structure) by copying the user data and application data from OS to new OS, but I'm unsure how this would work upgrading Outlook. There are some differences in the structure of these between XP and 7 too, and you would need to do a little research.

Having a 2nd machine on hand to test your transfer method would be beneficial, so when you do it for real you will have worked out any bugs. If you can find or borrow one for a day...

Edited by TsVk!, 21 March 2014 - 02:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users