Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System does not show external drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dan471

Dan471

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:30 AM

Hello folks,

This is my first time on this forum and am confident that many of you would help me with my problem.

I know XP is not going to be supported by Microsoft from mid-April onwards but I am willing to take risk and stick with it for as long as possible.

Anyway, my problem with an external mass storage started a few days ago. The system does not detect the device connected to a USB port. In Disk Management the device is shown to be unallocated. in the task bar Safely Remove Hardware  icon is present. Also no issues with power to the device. Tried connecting the device to a USB port using new cable, but no joy. Can someone offer me a solution?

I also have an ACER laptop that detects only 320 GB of 500 GB that was recently installed.

I shall greatly appreciate any positive feedback from you all.

Thanking you.

Dan471

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:28 AM

Try right clicking computer then Manage, then click disk management, when the drives are displayed right click the unallocated drive then click make active.

Edited by OldPhil, 21 March 2014 - 07:28 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:40 PM

Can be various issues and fixes if Dopplegangers fix doesn't work have a look at these links,remember to get your data of the drive before you go so far as to reformat the drive.(Theres various ways to get your files off if it comes too it,keep us posted).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/troubleshoot-windows-wont-recognize-usb-hard-drive-fix-unassigned-drive-letter.122125/

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-18251-my-windows-xp-not-recognize-any-memory-device

Edited by Wolverine 7, 21 March 2014 - 11:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users